Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org> on 2015/07/18 22:42:53 UTC

merging common sl

Hi,

I'm starting to merge the common sl branch to the trunk.
It probably takes a while for the first commit, but I think it's in a shape to be merged.
There will be quite a few api-breaks, but this is natural, as the XSLF and HSLF differ a
lot in certain areas ... and I either don't want to keep all the old methods/structures
or the hierarchy is different (e.g. text handling in shapes).
A sketchy list of differences can be found in [1], but I will modify this list while merging.
Furthermore there are still a lot of things to do, beside the recent bug entries [1]
I will most focus on slide rendering.
I asked for review twice (... I think), but I guess we let the community decide about
the changes and I will try to adapt to the old methods if the complaints get too high
... the problem with that is, that I have the impression that newer versions of POI
aren't broadly used, so this might take a while ...
After the merge, I try to supply patches for TIKA where necessary.

So up till now, I haven't merged/committed anything and look forward to any hints
on a soft launch ;)

Best wishes,
Andi

[1] http://people.apache.org/~kiwiwings

RE: merging common sl

Posted by OLESEN Mark <ma...@faurecia.com>.
Hi Andi,

> I'm starting to merge the common sl branch to the trunk.
> It probably takes a while for the first commit, but I think it's in a shape to be merged.
> There will be quite a few api-breaks, but this is natural, as the XSLF and HSLF differ a lot in certain areas ...

This is certainly good news for me (a newcomer). The old API seems crufty in a number of spots, even just starting with using arrays instead of list generics. The transition will probably take a while, but IMO is worth it. Keep up the good work.

/mark

This electronic transmission (and any attachments thereto) is intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). It may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you must delete it immediately and notify the sender. Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this message is strictly prohibited.  Faurecia does not guarantee the integrity of this transmission and shall therefore never be liable if the message is altered or falsified nor for any virus, interception or damage to your system.

Re: merging common sl

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Thanks Andi for this big piece of work, nice to have another of the
formats available via a common interface!

Dominik.

Re: merging common sl

Re: merging common sl

Posted by Andreas Beeker <an...@gmx.de>.
Hi Dominik,

> Let me know if you run into a huge number of merge-conflicts
yes, I ran into them ... I spent quite some time to find out how to do it via eclipse,
but finally did it via the console. The problem was, that I've never merged
the trunk into my branch and so it accumulated since January.

The problem is, that now I would have a ready to commit patch,
I've realized that the example results don't look good anymore ...

So it simply take (hopefully just) another few days until this is fixed.

Andi

Re: merging common sl

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

merging changes in is fine by me, the longer they live on a separate
branch, the more they will drift apart.

Unfortunately SVN is not very intelligent in such a case, I think you
"rebased" trunk onto your branch at some point, but SVN sometimes does
not see this and thus will spit out a lot of merge-conflicts as it
tries to merge all these changes back again! Let me know if you run
into a huge number of merge-conflicts, then we can try via git-svn to
do the actual merging via Git and push to SVN from there as it may
make the merge a lot easier.

Dominik.

Thanks... Dominik.

Th