Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Robert Riebisch <rr...@bttr-software.de> on 2008/07/09 13:24:11 UTC

SVN client 1.5.0 trouble on Windows

Hi all!

I'm an SVN newbie and only use the client part to export sources from
some repositories. I'm running
<http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/43074/svn-win32-1.5.0.zip>
on Windows 2000 SP4.

Whenever I export sources all files have CRLF line endings, but I need
LF endings for a specific file. I already changed
"%APPDATA%\Subversion\config" file to activate "enable-auto-props" and
added "foo.dat = svn:eol-style=LF" to the "auto-props" section, but it
doesn't make any difference. Still CRLF.

What am I doing wrong? Or is it a bug?

Robert Riebisch
--
BTTR Software
http://www.bttr-software.de/

Re: SVN client 1.5.0 trouble on Windows

Posted by sv...@mobsol.be.
Quoting Robert Riebisch <rr...@bttr-software.de>:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm an SVN newbie and only use the client part to export sources from
> some repositories. I'm running
> <http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/43074/svn-win32-1.5.0.zip>
> on Windows 2000 SP4.
>
> Whenever I export sources all files have CRLF line endings, but I need
> LF endings for a specific file. I already changed
> "%APPDATA%\Subversion\config" file to activate "enable-auto-props" and
> added "foo.dat = svn:eol-style=LF" to the "auto-props" section, but it
> doesn't make any difference. Still CRLF.

Auto props will make svn add that svn:eol-style property to newly added files.
For existing files, you'll have to add the property manually:

c:\> svn propset "svn:eol-style" "LF" foo.dat
c:\> svn commit foo.dat -m "Add eolstyle property."

Note that this property does not only work for you, but for all other people
exporting/checking out that particular file.

More info in the book:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.props.file-portability.html#svn.advanced.props.special.eol-style

hth,

Lieven

Re: SVN client 1.5.0 trouble on Windows

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Robert Riebisch <rr...@bttr-software.de> wrote:
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> the files will have CRLF line endings. This is so that normal text
>> editors will be able to deal with the text files using the line
>> ending style that is usual for the operating system in question.
>
> Thanks, but I've already read the manual. ;-) And except Microsoft's
> Notepad any recent text editor on Windows supports CR, CRLF, and LF line
> endings.
>
>>                                                                  You
>> showed that you're using Windows, so that's why you're getting CRLF
>> line endings.
>
> I see, but why does the SVN client not allow changing line endings on
> the fly during export or checkout?

svn export --native-eol LF

It cannot do it for checkout because how could it then properly
validate the line endings when you commit.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: SVN client 1.5.0 trouble on Windows

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Robert Riebisch <rr...@bttr-software.de> wrote:
> Mark Phippard wrote:
>
>> The larger point is that if you did not want CRLF line endings on
>> windows then you should not have gone to the effort of setting
>> svn:eol-style = native in the first place.  Subversion is just doing
>> what it was asked.
>
> But I'm NOT the maintainer of that SVN repository, so I don't have any
> influence.

If they have a file or set of files that should specifically have LF
as line endings for some reason, then they have set the wrong value on
those files and someone should tell them so.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: SVN client 1.5.0 trouble on Windows

Posted by Robert Riebisch <rr...@bttr-software.de>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Riebisch <rr...@bttr-software.de>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 9, 2008, at 09:26, Robert Riebisch wrote:

> Philippe Andersson wrote:
>
>> I believe that these auto-props will be set only when you add a
>> new file
>> in the repository. They won't affect existing files, and certainly
>> not
>> in the context of an export. If the file "foo.dat" has CRLF line
>> endings
>> in the repository, I think that your only option is to simply
>> convert it
>
> According to the repository maintainer all files have UNIX-style LF
> line
> endings.
>
>> to "LF" line endings locally post export.
>
> I already do this as a work around, but I can't believe that SVN is
> that
> kind of "weird".

Subversion is not weird; it does exactly what it's told to do.

It sounds like whoever put the files into this repository has set the
"svn:eol-style" property of these files to "native". This means that
when checked out or exported on Linux or Mac OS X, the files will
have LF line endings, and when checked out or exported on Windows,
the files will have CRLF line endings. This is so that normal text
editors will be able to deal with the text files using the line
ending style that is usual for the operating system in question. You
showed that you're using Windows, so that's why you're getting CRLF
line endings.

If LF line endings are always desired for these files, even on
Windows, then the svn:eol-style property of these files should be set
to LF, not native.

Re: SVN client 1.5.0 trouble on Windows

Posted by Robert Riebisch <rr...@bttr-software.de>.
Philippe Andersson wrote:

> I believe that these auto-props will be set only when you add a new file
> in the repository. They won't affect existing files, and certainly not
> in the context of an export. If the file "foo.dat" has CRLF line endings
> in the repository, I think that your only option is to simply convert it

According to the repository maintainer all files have UNIX-style LF line
endings.

> to "LF" line endings locally post export.

I already do this as a work around, but I can't believe that SVN is that
kind of "weird".

>                                           A utility such as "recode"
> will do the trick, but I don't know whether it's available natively for
> Windows.

That's not the problem as there exist many such tools for Windows.

Robert Riebisch

Posted by Philippe Andersson <pa...@iba-group.com>.
Robert Riebisch wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm an SVN newbie and only use the
client part to export sources from
> some repositories. I'm running

<http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/43074/svn-win32-1.5.0.zip>

on Windows 2000 SP4.

> Whenever I export sources all files have CRLF line
endings, but I need
> LF endings for a specific file. I already changed

"%APPDATA%\Subversion\config" file to activate "enable-auto-props" and
> added
"foo.dat = svn:eol-style=LF" to the "auto-props" section, but it
> doesn't
make any difference. Still CRLF.

> What am I doing wrong? Or is it a bug?
believe that these auto-props will be set only when you add a new file
in the
repository. They won't affect existing files, and certainly not
in the
context of an export. If the file "foo.dat" has CRLF line endings
in the
repository, I think that your only option is to simply convert it
to "LF"
line endings locally post export. A utility such as "recode"
will do the
trick, but I don't know whether it's available natively for
Windows.

HTH
Cheers. Bye.

Ph. A.

--

*Philippe Andersson*
Unix System Administrator

The contents of this e-mail message
and any attachments are intended solely for the recipient (s) named above.
This communication is intended to be and to remain confidential and may be
protected by intellectual property rights. Any use of the information
contained herein (including but not limited to, total or partial reproduction,
communication or distribution of any form) by persons other than the
designated recipient(s) is prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by
e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from
your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-
free. Ion Beam Applications does not accept liability for any such errors.
Thank you for your cooperation.