Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Gurkan Erdogdu <cg...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/19 13:19:04 UTC

Removing Listener Based Approach

Hello folks;

As you have already know, Tomcat has mainly implemented on Event-Listener
mechanism. I think about to remove all of those event-listener mechanism for
configuring/starting Tomcat. It is very hard to extend Tomcat without really
knowing internal details because you are not able to find which part/parts
listen for doing something etc. When using some extended interface and
adding methods etc., it will be more structure coding for configuring and
starting Tomcat.

WDYT?

--Gurkan

Re: Removing Listener Based Approach

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 19/02/2010 12:19, Gurkan Erdogdu wrote:
> Hello folks;
>
> As you have already know, Tomcat has mainly implemented on Event-Listener
> mechanism. I think about to remove all of those event-listener mechanism for
> configuring/starting Tomcat. It is very hard to extend Tomcat without really
> knowing internal details because you are not able to find which part/parts
> listen for doing something etc. When using some extended interface and
> adding methods etc., it will be more structure coding for configuring and
> starting Tomcat.
>
> WDYT?

The lifecycle listener interface certainly needs a clean-up. It needs to
be better defined and used more consistently. That is coming in Tomcat 7
- I am working on a patch to do exactly that at the moment. That should
help make the use of listeners easier to understand.

Whether the listener approach should be remove entirely, I'm not so
sure. Better documentation may offer more advantages. StandardContext is
already pretty big. Adding all the functionality from ContextConfig
would make it very large.

Mark