Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2010/11/04 14:48:41 UTC

[OT] InnoDB is no longer free?

http://www.mysql.com/products/

Saw this mentioned on the WO list. So it looks like the free version of MySQL can't use InnoDB (??). Oracle's acquisitions are finally paying off ... for them. PostgreSQL suddenly looks very attractive again.

Andrus

Re: [OT] InnoDB is no longer free?

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.
Sweet ... I've been starting a push for PostgreSQL here and this will
add more fuel to the fire.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
This explains current MySQL licensing:

http://www.infoq.com/news/2010/11/MySQL-Classic-InnoDB

So there's still InnoDB in the free Community Edition, but looks like Oracle will keep everybody nervous for a while one way or another:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/06/oracle_dueling_jvms/

Andrus

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Andrei Veprev <an...@objectstyle.com>.

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
They can't un-GPL the code they have released. Although that is a very odd product page from Snorcle, there is no current reason to stop using InnoDB:

   http://www.innodb.com/products/innodb/license/

Still, you can't wonder what their strategy is in the medium term... I am sure the MariaDB people are very happy with their new marketshare.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis