Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org> on 2009/03/23 02:00:12 UTC

[VOTE] release PyLucene 2.4.1

Last week's vote failed to get the 3 PMC votes to make an official release.
Only one PMC vote was cast, a +1 from Mike McCandless.

In the meantime, some bugs were fixed and PyLucene 2.4.1 RC5 was uploaded to
the staging area:

     http://people.apache.org/~vajda/staging_area/

Please vote to release these artifacts as PyLucene 2.4.1.

Thanks !

Andi..

Re: [VOTE] release PyLucene 2.4.1

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
I tried the install (for impatient users, nice!), and got this error
on the install of JCC:

Installed /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/JCC-2.2-py2.5-macosx-10.5-
i386.egg
Processing dependencies for JCC==2.2
Searching for JCC==2.2
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/JCC/
No local packages or download links found for JCC==2.2
error: Could not find suitable distribution for
Requirement.parse('JCC==2.2')

I chatted with Andi about it, and even did some screen sharing so he
could hack at it a bit himself.  Turns out the above wasn't a
"problem", as JCC installed fine.  We got a similar error (that has
long since scrolled off my history, sorry, due to running the
manindex.py example) on the pylucene install step, but again it still
all installed fine.

I've run some samples, looked at the basic docs and legal files.  All
looks good.

	+1

		Erik

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Apr 1, 2009, at 13:12, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hey Andi,
>
> I think you now have the necessary votes such that this has passed.
> Feel free to finish out the release.  If you need help on what that
> is, both the Solr and Lucene wiki's have info on making releases.

Yep, I should get to this in the next few days.

Andi..

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Hey Andi,

--------------------------

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Hey Andi,

--------------------------

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Fwd: [VOTE] release PyLucene 2.4.1

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Ugh, forgot to CC pylucene-dev.

Mike

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
+1 to release RC7.

[VOTE] release PyLucene 2.4.1

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : This is the way it used to be. In the interest of better maintenance by
> : avoiding duplication and to have nicer presentation than plain text, I
> : moved all the docs to the web site. That site's sources are all in svn
>
> I'm not advocating duplication -- and i agree HTML based docs tend to be
> easier to read.  I'm just suggesting that a "snapshot" of the HTML docs be
> included future releases. (this is along the same lines as what some of
> the other subprojects do)

I just remembered that Forrest produces .pdf files for each and every web
page it processes. I can include the readme.pdf and install.pdf for both
PyLucene and JCC in the artifacts. The links in these documents don't work,
of course, but it's better than nothing.

Andi..

[VOTE] release PyLucene 2.4.1

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
I was afraid you would say that!  OK I'll work up a patch ;)

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] release PyLucene 2.4.1

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> My one comment is regarding the documentation: the README and INSTALL
> files included in the release...
>
> ./README
> ./INSTALL
> ./jcc/README
> ./jcc/INSTALL
>
> ...are all simple one line files pointing people to URLs for HTML based
> documentation on the website.  The release should really contain as much
> of the documentation as possible: both so people can review it offline,
> and so so that it is "preserved" and versioned with the releases even
> though the site may evolve over time.  This isn't significant enough to
> really be a show stopper, but it's something to keep in mind for the
> future.

This is the way it used to be. In the interest of better maintenance by
avoiding duplication and to have nicer presentation than plain text, I moved
all the docs to the web site. That site's sources are all in svn [1], so all
of it is preserved and versioned, albeit not necessarily in sync with the
releases.

Andi..

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/pylucene/site

Re: [VOTE] release PyLucene 2.4.1

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I uploaded RC6 with these fixes to the staging area:
:     http://people.apache.org/~vajda/staging_area/
:
: Please vote to release these artifacts as PyLucene 2.4.1.
: Thanks !

+0

I attempted to review the release, but my complete lack of knowledge about
python, and my computer's aparent lack of a gcc (not sure how i let that
happen) mean that I can't verify any of the build/install steps. or the
samples.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
OK this resolved both of my issues below.

+1 to release!

Mike

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Andi,

I tested what happens when I fail to call initVM, and unfortunately I
hit a SEGV (different from previous Bus Error):

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   libjcc.dylib                  	0x000ab4a6 JCCEnv::fromUTF(char
const*) + 50
1   _lucene.so                    	0x01303449 p2j(_object*) + 47
2   _lucene.so                    	0x01305096 _parseArgs(_object**,
unsigned int, char*, ...) + 5366
3   _lucene.so                    	0x010a0139
org::apache::lucene::store::t_FSDirectory_getDirectory(_typeobject*,
_object*) + 131
4   org.python.python             	0x0018f51e PyEval_EvalFrameEx + 17116
5   org.python.python             	0x00191173 PyEval_EvalCodeEx + 1638
6   org.python.python             	0x00191260 PyEval_EvalCode + 87
7   org.python.python             	0x001a883c PyErr_Display + 1896
8   org.python.python             	0x001a8e66 PyRun_FileExFlags + 135
9   org.python.python             	0x001aa7d2 PyRun_SimpleFileExFlags
+ 421
10  org.python.python             	0x001b5a57 Py_Main + 3095
11  org.python.pythonapp          	0x00001fca 0x1000 + 4042