Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Sergey Leschenko <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/07 12:41:23 UTC

Upgrade from 0.6.x to 1.2.x

Hi, all

I'm trying to update our old version 0.6.5 to current 1.2.1
All nodes has been drained and stopped. Proper cassandra.yaml created,
schema file prepared.

Trying to start version 1.2.1 on the one node  (full output attached to email):
ERROR 11:12:44,530 Exception encountered during startup
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.SystemTable.upgradeSystemData(SystemTable.java:161)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.SystemTable.finishStartup(SystemTable.java:107)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.setup(CassandraDaemon.java:276)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.activate(CassandraDaemon.java:370)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:413)
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.SystemTable.upgradeSystemData(SystemTable.java:161)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.SystemTable.finishStartup(SystemTable.java:107)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.setup(CassandraDaemon.java:276)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.activate(CassandraDaemon.java:370)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:413)
Exception encountered during startup: null

On the next attempts daemon started, but still with AssertionErrors

Question 1 - is it possible start the new version from the first attempt?

Then I loaded schema via cassandra-cli, and run nodetool scrub - which
caused a big number of  warnings in log:
   OutputHandler.java (line 52) Index file contained a different key
or row size; using key from data file

storage-conf.xml from 0.6.5 has column family defined as
   <ColumnFamily Name="Invoices" CompareWith="BytesType"/>
for 1.2.1 I used
  create column family Invoices with column_type = 'Standard' and
comparator = 'BytesType';

Question 2 - how to get rid of these warnings? Are they connected to
column family definition?

Thanks

--
Sergey

Re: Upgrade from 0.6.x to 1.2.x

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
We did this along time ago. Besides the upgrade, the issue is that the
thrift clients are completely incompatible between 0.6.x and 0.7.x
thus you will have to coordinate a software release with clients as
well as the Cassandra update.

Re: Upgrade from 0.6.x to 1.2.x

Posted by Sergey Leschenko <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Upgrade from 0.6.x to 1.2.x

Posted by Bryan Talbot <bt...@aeriagames.com>.
Wow, that's pretty ambitions expecting an upgrade which skips 4 major
versions (0.7, 0.8, 1.0, 1.1) to work.

I think you're going to have to follow the upgrade path for each of those
intermediate steps and not upgrade in one big jump.

-Bryan