Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by fr...@orange.com on 2012/02/14 14:31:33 UTC

[users@httpd] how to setup authentication on webserver behind a reverse proxy with x509 certificate

Hi,

I would like to do this architecture:
- a reverse proxy (based on apache 2.2.10-2.24.5) that do client
authentication with x509 certificate. The user access is validated by an
ldap server.
- a web server (based on apache 2.2.10-2.24.5) that run mod_dav with
specific user access filtering

I setup the reverse proxy with this configuration :

<Proxy balancer://webdavcluster>
BalancerMember http://192.168.129.18
BalancerMember http://192.168.129.19
</Proxy>
<VirtualHost _default_:443>

        ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error_log
        TransferLog /var/log/apache2/access_log
        CustomLog /var/log/apache2/ssl_request_log   ssl_combined
        SSLEngine On
        SSLProxyEngine On
        SSLCipherSuite
ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL
        SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl.crt/server.crt
        SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/ssl.key/server.key
        SSLCACertificateFile
/etc/apache2/ssl.crt/client-accepted-ca-chain.crt
        SSLVerifyClient require
        SSLVerifyDepth 3
        SSLOptions +FakeBasicAuth +ExportCertData
        SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
                 nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
                 downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

        ServerName webdav
        ServerAlias webdav
        <Location />
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Intranet"
        AuthBasicProvider ldap
        AuthzLDAPAuthoritative off
        AuthLDAPURL
"ldap://192.168.129.19:389/ou=People,dc=XXX,dc=X,dc=X,dc=X?uid"
        AuthLDAPBindDN "cn=X,ou=Technical,dc=X,dc=X,dc=X,dc=X"
        AuthLDAPBindPassword X
        Require valid-user
        </location>
        ProxyPass /balancer-manager !
        ProxyPass / balancer://webdavcluster/
        ProxyPassReverse / balancer://webdavcluster/
</VirtualHost>

On the web server, I configure :

<Directory "/srv/www/htdocs">
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
 Allow from all
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
AuthName "WEBDav server"
AuthType Basic
AuthBasicProvider ldap
AuthzLDAPAuthoritative on
AuthLDAPURL
"ldap://192.168.129.19:389/ou=People,dc=XXX,dc=X,dc=X,dc=X?uid"
AuthLDAPBindDN "cn=X,ou=Technical,dc=X,dc=X,dc=X,dc=X"
AuthLDAPBindPassword X
require valid-user
DAV On
</Directory>

On the webserver logs, I found this message : [Tue Feb 14 14:00:42 2012]
[error] [client 192.168.129.17] Encountered FakeBasicAuth spoof:
/XXXXXXXX

It looks like error due to FakeBasicAuth option used on the reverse
proxy but when I removed it on the reverse proxy, the reverse proxy
doesn't authenticate user with the ldap.

So my question is how to do user validation on the web server based on
information send by the reverse proxy or how to filter access to
specific directory ?

Thanks for your help
Francois-Xavier THORET

France Telecom - Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie. Merci

they should not be distributed, used or copied without authorization.
As emails may be altered, France Telecom - Orange shall not be liable if this message was modified, changed or falsified.
Thank you.

RE: [users@httpd] how to setup authentication on webserver behind a reverse proxy with x509 certificate

Posted by fr...@orange.com.
Hi,

I need to filter access so I apply authentication method. Can I do it by another way ?

Francois-xavier

Posted by Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com>.