Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by James Adams <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2004/10/14 23:21:20 UTC

[users@httpd] Redirected URL query string being lost

In Apache I'm redirecting a URL to a servlet which is
being served by JBoss/Tomcat (JBoss 3.2.5) on the same
machine listening on port 18080.  This is being done
by using a Redirect directive in the httpd.conf file.
For example:

Redirect /PutMsg
http://myserver.mycompany.local:18080/PutMsg

(I expect that there's a better way of doing this, and
perhaps this is the cause of my trouble.)

The web client that I have to support is written with
a combination of HTML and JavaScript.  The servlet's
URL can be called either as a form action from the
HTML (<form action="/PutMsg">) or as a location of a
JavaScript control (I think that's right -- I don't
know JavaScript).

When the request comes from the JavaScript control the
URL is redirected with the query string intact, and my
servlet is happy.  But when it's called as the action
of the HTML form submission then the URL is redirected
OK but the query string is lost, and hence my servlet
has no parameters to work with.

Can anyone suggest why this is happening ?  Bear in
mind that I'm a Java/J2EE develoer with only a limited
knowledge of how Apache works, so I may be missing
something which would be very obvious to someone with
more Apache experience.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

--James