Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rajeev Jha <jh...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/24 12:52:59 UTC

Best practices : browser checks by tomcat container

Hi
Right now our application supports only new set of browsers (firefox and
IE 6+) so we need to display a custom Unsupported Browser page when user
hits a servlet via apache front-end URL . The way we are planning to do
this is

1) set environment variables in apache based on browser match rules
2) pass those variables to tomcat request using JkEnvVar
3) extract environment variables value inside servlet and then decide ..

I would like to know what are the best practices people are following
for this kind of requirement. should we do it in apache only and dont
bother tomcat at all ? is checking every hit for user-agent a
performance drag ? should we set a cookie when first hit is made ?

I would like to know your views.

Thanks

Rajeev.

RE: Best practices : browser checks by tomcat container

Posted by Tim Lucia <ti...@yahoo.com>.
Can you not simply get the user agent header in tomcat?  Why bother with
browser match rules in Apache at all?

Tim