Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Nicolas Paris <ni...@riseup.net> on 2018/11/28 22:05:00 UTC

extracting checkboxes in non acroform pdf

Hi

I have several pdf created with PDFCreator 2.0.1.0 and I want to extract
the content as text, including the checkboxes values in it.

THe pdf looks like a regular form pdf with checkboxes. However it is not
a acro form based pdf, and the regular pdfbox code I use in this case
does not apply : the acroform is null !

I wonder how I can iterate on those checkboxes (or visually equivalent)
objects or symbols.

If someone can give me a starter to list all objects in that pdf, that
might be helpful to begin with.

Thanks by advance,

--
nicolas

Re: extracting checkboxes in non acroform pdf

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
> Am 29.11.2018 um 20:56 schrieb Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>:
>
> Am 29.11.2018 um 09:49 schrieb Nicolas Paris:
>> Hi
>>
>>> It could be an XFA forms pdf... then you'd have to analyze the XML content.
>> I opened the pdf in a text editor, and I can say the boxes are in a
>> stream xml entity, in binary format. (By removing some binary, I have
>> been able to remove the boxes.
>> Does it exclude the XFA form pdf nature ?
>

> Sorry, "nature" looks like a bad translation, and sadly I don't know what you meant...  please write that part in french, which I understand too.
>
> PDFBox doesn't have an API for the XFA form.

That's not completely correct. If there is an XFA form AcroForm.getXFA().getDocument() will return the XFA as an XML Document object and AcroForm.getXFA().getBytes() will return the (XML) content. From there you are on your own and need to process the XML.

BR
Maruan

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 29.11.2018 um 21:27 schrieb Nicolas Paris:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 08:56:59PM +0100, Tilman Hausherr wrote:
>> Am 29.11.2018 um 09:49 schrieb Nicolas Paris:
>>> Hi

>>> I opened the pdf in a text editor, and I can say the boxes are in a
>>> stream xml entity, in binary format. (By removing some binary, I have
>>> been able to remove the boxes.
>>> Does it exclude the XFA form pdf nature ?
>>
>> Sorry, "nature" looks like a bad translation, and sadly I don't know what
>> you meant...  please write that part in french, which I understand too.
> I meant, "do the above informations prove it is *not* a XFA form ?". I
> mean, the boxes arent in xml but in the binary part.

Open the file with PDFDebugger, switch to "show internal structure" in
the menu, and if you find "Root/AcroForm/XFA" then it has XFA. (Some
PDFs also have normal fields, e.g.

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/FreeStuff/PDFSamples/DynamicEmail_XFAForm_V2.pdf
)

I also don''t know what you mean with "binary part". The compressed PDF
content stream? That one you can see by going to
Root/Pages/Kids/[0]/Contents .

>> PDFBox doesn't have an API for the XFA form.
>>
>> You can also upload the PDF to a sharehoster (no mail attachments). Or look
>> at the PDF in PDFDebugger.
> I cannot share any copy of the pdf. Thanks for that proposition that
> would help a lot.

>>> The regular textstripper does not extract them. Does it exclude the text
>>> nature ?
>>
>> Same problem with "nature". PDFBox cannot extract XFA forms. It can detect
>> glyphs that are used for forms, e.g. squares.
> I meant, "if the built-in pdfbox text stripper does not extract the
> check-boxes, does it prove that they are not ordinary text."

I can't tell without seeing the PDF.

> How could I determine the kind of checkbox I have ? Is there a way to
> list all the objects within the pdf ?

PDF isn't like XML where there is a tree. PDF has an object structure,
and there are also content streams, which contains graphics and texts...
the text is often not easy to "see" because of encoding.

PDFDebugger can really show you all in a PDF, the problem is to
understand it... especially the content stream.

In theory, I could write an algorithm to answer the question. But it
would probably take several hours, because there are so many ways to do
the same thing in PDF. And I might still have forgotten something.

In short: What I would do is first look at the acroform (field? xfa?),
then look at the page annotations (location?), then at the content
stream (see PDF specification, "operator summary"). In the content
stream I would try to find the boxes by knowing their location from
having looked at the rendered page and move the mouse.

Tilman

Posted by Dick Martin <rt...@nycap.rr.com>.
Yes.  There "Is there a way to list all the objects within the pdf"
That's what Tilman meant when he said "Or look at the PDF in PDFDebugger."
The PDFDebugger is a utility included in the PDFBox download (or maybe
separately downloadable?)

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi,

> Am 29.11.2018 um 21:27 schrieb Nicolas Paris <ni...@riseup.net>:
>
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 08:56:59PM +0100, Tilman Hausherr wrote:
>> Am 29.11.2018 um 09:49 schrieb Nicolas Paris:
>>> Hi

>>> I opened the pdf in a text editor, and I can say the boxes are in a
>>> stream xml entity, in binary format. (By removing some binary, I have
>>> been able to remove the boxes.
>>> Does it exclude the XFA form pdf nature ?
>>

>> Sorry, "nature" looks like a bad translation, and sadly I don't know what
>> you meant...  please write that part in french, which I understand too.
>
> I meant, "do the above informations prove it is *not* a XFA form ?". I
> mean, the boxes arent in xml but in the binary part.

If PDDocument.getDocumentCatalog().getAcroForm() is null it's doesn't contain an AcroForm definition and it's also not an XFA as this is defined within an AcroForm.

If AcroForm is not null AcroForm.hasXFA() will tell if there is an XFA based form and AcroForm.xfaIsDynamic() will tell if there is only an XFA form definition which means there are no "regular" form fields in the AcroForm.

BR
Maruan

Posted by Nicolas Paris <ni...@riseup.net>.

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.