Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Lewis Gardner <le...@twolous.com> on 2019/10/04 01:40:16 UTC

Experimental status of readonlymode feature

Hi,

The readonlymode feature was added 8 years ago but is still marked as
experimental and requires setting a JVM system property to enable it.

What steps are required to promote this feature to "fully supported" status
and allow enablement via the "readonlymode.enabled" setting in zoo.cfg?

thanks,
Lewis

Re: Experimental status of readonlymode feature

Posted by Norbert Kalmar <nk...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Hi Lewis,

I don't think the two is connected, so it's not only JVM flag because it's
experimental, it's just haven't been implemented to read this parameter
from config -experimental feature or not.
If you create an upstream ticket, create the PR if you want to contribute
(or just wait until someone implements it) it will be available in the next
release (3.5.x, not in 3.4).
I'm not aware of any rule that experimental features should not be
available from config.

As for why it is experimental. Honestly, I don't know. jute.maxbuffer is
also experimental, but it is widely used in production. This might worth a
question on the dev list.

Regards,
Norbert