Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Eike Rathke <oo...@erack.de> on 2011/07/18 18:31:36 UTC

Re: Boost regex

Hi Pedro,

On Monday, 2011-07-18 07:57:02 -0700, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

>> (1) boost/Regex_Experimental.tar.gz
>> Should be unpacked and committed or removed.

> I know we basically agreed ICU regex is the way to go, however,
> I just read somewhere on the net that Boost regex will become
> part of the latest C++ standard
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B_Technical_Report_1

For Unicode, boost regex can be configured to use either the
incompatible and less capable wchar_t type, or the the ICU regex, see
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_47_0/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/unicode.html
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_47_0/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/ref/non_std_strings/icu.html

Currently I think it doesn't make sense to use boost as yet another
indirection layer on top of ICU that we would be using anyway. However,
it might turn out that boost regex objects and iterators with ICU may
result in an easier to interface implementation, we'll see.

> Since the work seems to have been done, I think we should
> include this code in the grant request, and perhaps use it
> until someone drops in a better replacement.

The Regex_Experimental stuff is very old, incomplete and probably
totally outdated.

  Eike

Re: Boost regex

Posted by "Pedro F. Giffuni" <gi...@tutopia.com>.
Hi Eike;

--- On Mon, 7/18/11, Eike Rathke <oo...@erack.de> wrote:
> Hi Pedro,
>
> On Monday, 2011-07-18 07:57:02 -0700, Pedro F. Giffuni
> wrote:
>
> >> (1) boost/Regex_Experimental.tar.gz
> >> Should be unpacked and committed or removed.
>
> > I know we basically agreed ICU regex is the way to go,
> however,
> > I just read somewhere on the net that Boost regex will
> > become part of the latest C++ standard
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B_Technical_Report_1
>
> For Unicode, boost regex can be configured to use either
> the incompatible and less capable wchar_t type, or the
> ICU regex, see

Interesting, I still think that ICU is the way to go,
however if boost.regex is standard it does have it's
appeal.

> The Regex_Experimental stuff is very old, incomplete and
> probably totally outdated.

OK, just thought it would save some work to have it under
the grant, but if you say it useless then it's OK.

I wonder what Symphony uses, this may be something that
is already written?

Pedro.

Re: Boost regex

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
--- On Wed, 10/5/11, Pedro Giffuni  wrote:

> Now that we are using ICU regex I think we can get rid
> of the Boost experimental Regex and it's README.
>
> I'll remove both tomorrow unless someone beats me to it.

Actually, there's no hurry, I think I'll just wait for the
initial SGA work to start before I remove anything.

Pedro.

Re: Boost regex

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi;

--- On Mon, 7/18/11, Eike Rathke wrote:

> The Regex_Experimental stuff is very old, incomplete and
> probably totally outdated.

Now that we are using ICU regex I think we can get rid
of the Boost experimental Regex and it's README.

I'll remove both tomorrow unless someone beats me to it.

cheers,

Pedro.