Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Pascal Paradis-Théberge <pa...@cozywelkin.com> on 2003/04/23 00:32:58 UTC

jikes and windows

Hi,
I'm using tomcat on a day to day basis to do jsp development. I really
like how much snappier Jasper2 is but I find really annoying that I'm
not able to use jikes. Jikes makes a huge difference when you have to
keep recompiling jsps and it seriously impacts the productivity of
anybody trying to use Tomcat as a development platform on windows. The
only explanation/solution proposed so far is the following: "this is a
problem with jikes on windows, all you need is a binary of jikes with
support for encoding." The problem with this is by looking at jikes
mailing lists, it seems to be pretty hard to support this option under
windows because of some library availability reason and until somebody
tackles this issue which doesn't even seem to be on their radar screen,
it leaves Jasper2 users without jikes support on windows.

But I do use jikes outside of jasper every day to compile my java files
and I don't run into any encoding problem. So, there seems to be a
simple way to work around this issue.Why not add a parameter to the jsp
servlet? Something like "ignoreEncoding" that could default to false.
The only effect would be to not pass the "encoding" option to ant and
voilĂ  the problem is gone and you have a lot of grateful developers that
save a lot of time not having to wait for jsps to compile.

I would totally do it myself but I'm not currently a Tomcat developer
and it seems a lot of setup just to be able to submit such a simple
patch for review. Please take this suggestion into consideration as it
would make a HUGE difference for a lot of people.

Keep up the great work.

Pascal