Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io> on 2018/05/06 14:38:44 UTC

Re: Reviewing our JIRA's

As a first step, I closed 30 issues that hadn’t been updated in 2 years.

project = GEODE AND issuetype = Bug AND resolution = Unresolved AND (labels in (CI, Ci, ci, Flaky, flaky) OR summary ~ ci) and updated <= -104w ORDER BY created DESC, priority DESC, updated DESC

Anthony

> On Apr 26, 2018, at 6:24 PM, Lynn Hughes-Godfrey <lh...@pivotal.io> wrote:
>
> Modifying your filter to look at jiras that haven't been updated in a year
> (vs. created in the past year) ... there are 114 to review.
> That probably means there were updates for 34 of those when they reproduced
> in CI, etc, so we wouldn't want to close those.
>
> Looking specifically at GEODE-552 ... GEODE-640 was a duplicate of this and
> has been marked closed (use port 0 so we use next available port vs.
> default port) ... so really this one looks like a bookkeeping issue
> (GEODE-552 should be closed as a duplicate of GEODE-640).
> Same for GEODE-554 ... it is the same as GEODE-552, GEODE-640 (and also
> open).
>
> I will probably take some more time tomorrow to look through the remaining
> 112 .... to see if I can see any reason why we shouldn't just resolve them
> now.
> I will send you more feedback then.
>

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 11:53 AM, Galen O'Sullivan <go...@pivotal.io>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm for it. Less noise is a good thing, and I don't think they're likely
>> to get prioritized anyways. If we close as WONTFIX or similar, we can
>> always look back for them later if we want.
>>

>> On 4/26/18 10:39 AM, Anthony Baker wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Lynn!
>>>
>>> As I first step I’d like to focus on issues labeled as ‘CI’.  There are
>>> 220 open issues and 148 [1] of those have been open for > 1 year.  If I
>>> look at the metrics jobs [2, 3, 4] I see a clear mismatch between failures
>>> that are currently relevant and our JIRA backlog.  That is, a bunch of
>>> tests that used to fail don’t anymore.  Perhaps that’s because of the
>>> transition away from Jenkins or something else, but it makes it hard to
>>> figure out what is important.  GEODE-552 [5] is a good example—is this
>>> still a problem and if so is it worth doing compared to more recent issues?
>>>
>>> So I’d like to make a radical proposal:  let’s close out all 148 of those
>>> stale CI issues.  If a test failure recurs, we can always reopen the ticket.
>>>
>>> Why I think this is important:  I’ve noticed a few reports from users
>>> that did not get timely attention and caused frustration.  I think reducing
>>> the sheer volume of issues will help us focus on the most important issues.
>>>
>>> Let me know what you think.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Anthony
>>>
>>> [1]https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12343689&jq
>>> l=project%20%3D%20GEODE%20AND%20issuetype%20%3D%20Bug%20AND%
>>> 20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20(labels%20in%20(CI%
>>> 2C%20Ci%2C%20ci%2C%20Flaky%2C%20flaky)%20OR%20summary%20~%
>>> 20ci)%20and%20created%20%3C%3D%20%20-52w%20ORDER%20BY%

Re: Reviewing our JIRA's

Posted by Michael Stolz <ms...@pivotal.io>.
Good first step!

--
Mike Stolz
Principal Engineer, GemFire Product Lead