Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/22 10:23:52 UTC

Kerberos *usage* doco

I have a question for the community about Kerberos documentation.  I
have a pile of Kerberos doco in Confluence at Safehaus and in a
personal Confluence repo.  Some of this doco is about *using*
Kerberos; that is to say, independent of the Kerberos implementation,
be it MIT, Active Directory, or Apache Kerberos.  For example, using
Kerberos for authentication with 'ssh' or 'smbclient'.

Now that we have Confluence for the Directory project, I'm wondering
if it would be desirable at Directory as part of a general Kerberos
doco effort or if it is too tangential to the specific Kerberos
implementation we have here.  In short, should I move it over to the
Directory project?  My feeling is that, as a means to building general
Kerberos community, it should be moved over.  Thoughts?

Enrique

Re: Kerberos *usage* doco

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
On 1/22/07, Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> wrote:
> This should have been done over 6 months ago when we got the confluence
> instance.

Yes, but we talked about an INTEROP Confluence Space at Safehaus,
containing doco about "using Safehaus Triplesec as the realm
controller."  You can see the Space you created, here:

http://docs.safehaus.org/display/INTEROP/Home

However, with TripleSec being rolled in to Directory, it makes sense
to also move this doco to Directory.

Enrique

Re: Kerberos *usage* doco

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Enrique Rodriguez wrote:
> I have a question for the community about Kerberos documentation.  I
> have a pile of Kerberos doco in Confluence at Safehaus and in a
> personal Confluence repo.  Some of this doco is about *using*
> Kerberos; that is to say, independent of the Kerberos implementation,
> be it MIT, Active Directory, or Apache Kerberos.  For example, using
> Kerberos for authentication with 'ssh' or 'smbclient'.
>
> Now that we have Confluence for the Directory project, I'm wondering
> if it would be desirable at Directory as part of a general Kerberos
> doco effort or if it is too tangential to the specific Kerberos
> implementation we have here.  In short, should I move it over to the
> Directory project?  My feeling is that, as a means to building general
> Kerberos community, it should be moved over.  Thoughts?

This should have been done over 6 months ago when we got the confluence
instance.

Alex

Re: Kerberos *usage* doco

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
On 1/22/07, Christine Koppelt <ch...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Enrique,
>
> I moved over the whole protocol providers doco including the Kerberos
> stuff to the cwiki directory sandbox space a while ago. I would like
> to see it becoming part of the Advanced User's Guide
> (http://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSRVx10/apacheds-v10-advanced-users-guide.html)
>  and it would be great if you could overwork and expand it a bit.

Thanks, Christine.  That was helpful feedback.

Enrique

Re: Kerberos *usage* doco

Posted by Christine Koppelt <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Enrique,

I moved over the whole protocol providers doco including the Kerberos
stuff to the cwiki directory sandbox space a while ago. I would like
to see it becoming part of the Advanced User's Guide
(http://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSRVx10/apacheds-v10-advanced-users-guide.html)
 and it would be great if you could overwork and expand it a bit.

regards

Christine