Posted to user@avro.apache.org by Sameer Deokule <sd...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/22 00:15:03 UTC

Interoperability between Avro 1.6.2 and 1.5.1

Hello,

 Would anyone be able to comment on what may not work between
  Avro 1.6.2 and 1.5.1 ?

  We have an existing Java component serializing data using Avro 1.6.2.

   We are considering a C++ de-serializer that would work on the above
serialized data
   and want to identify what may be incompatible if we use Avro 1.5.1.

Thanks
Sameer

Re: Interoperability between Avro 1.6.2 and 1.5.1

Posted by Scott Carey <sc...@apache.org>.
Avro serialized binary data has been binary compatible since 1.0.  A change
in binary format would require changing the version to 2.0 or above by
Avro's versioning policy.    The Avro data file format has been stable since
1.3.0, but there have been some feature additions (for example compression
codecs) and a few minor bugs since then in some languages.

-Scott