Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com> on 2012/02/02 09:30:31 UTC

[PROPOSAL] A features-fragment for extending external Features

Hi all,

when I tried to work on  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-1017 last
night I noticed that
our features are missing a nice "feature".
Following situation right now.

The Karaf standard feature does contain the http, war, http-whiteboard and
jetty feature.
Those features do not only contain the pax-web and jetty bundles but also
some extra
benefits of Karaf, the http and web commands.

AFAIR we decided once that it would be best that every project does take
care of the their features,
as Camel and CXF (AFAIK) have done so far.
For the pax-web project I did this for pax-web 2.0 which includes those
features named above.
The thing that is missing in the pax-web-features file are the http and web
commands.

*My proposal: *
Introduce a new features element called *features-fragment*
The tag could look like the following:

<features-fragment name="http-command" host="http">
     <bundle ....>
</features-fragment>

this fragment is supposed to be extending the hosting feature to add
additional bundles which
are also installed by the features service when the hosting feature is
installed. The features service
could look for all features-fragments that are "bound" to the host
features.

I think just creating a feature that depends on the http features like the
following

<feature name="http-command">
     <feature>http</feature>
     <bundle ....>
</feature>

is not enough and is actually also a regression of Karaf 3.0 vs. Karaf 2.2.x

*Benefits: *
This way we are able to easily adapt/extend external features with
specialties needed in certain environments.
Right now it would be that the external pax-web feature is extended with
special Karaf commands.
But I could also think this to be a nice enhancement for customers
extending Karaf with their own features.

Regards, Achim

Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: [PROPOSAL] A features-fragment for extending external Features

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I got the same idea, but Achim explained it's different than a trigger.
A trigger means (or "embedded" features) require a new feature,
something like:

<feature name="karaf-war">
   <feature>war</feature>
   <bundle>war-commands</bundle>
</feature>

(same with trigger).

So it means that it's not transparent for the users, as they have to use
a specific karaf-war feature.

The Achim proposal is to install a new feature automatically when the
pax web war is installed, without modifying the "source" feature (pax
web war for instance).

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] A features-fragment for extending external Features

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
well I tried to differntiate from any post/pre scripting ideas which are
already around and I though
an analogy to the fragment-bundle and host would be best :)

Concerning the multiple Hosts I have no objections :)

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
I don't think it's a big deal to use karaf feature web for 3.0 and pax-web
feature for 3.1. As long as there is no difference from a user point of
view I don't see any problems here.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Well if we decide this to be not included in 3.0 we don't need to use the
pax-web features for karaf either.

regards, Achim

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Yes, we had a consensus in this way I guess ;)

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] A features-fragment for extending external Features

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Achim,

as discussed this morning on IRC, I'm +1 on that.

Especially, I think it should be included in Karaf 3.0.0 as it's more or
less a requirement to use Pax Web features as we decided in Karaf 3.0.0.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré