Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Jacopille <ti...@mac.com> on 2007/03/05 23:11:38 UTC

Newbie problems

I've configured Apache 2.2.4 and subversion 1.4.3 on OS X but I can't
seem to use the svn checkout command via WebDAV.  If I use a command
like this either locally or remotely:

	svn checkout http://svn.repository.com/svn/project1

It gives the error: Unrecognized URL scheme for 'http://
svn.repository.com/svn/project1'.  Same if I use localhost or the IP,
with or without ports, trailing slashes.  Seems like I directly
copied the format right out of the manual.

Everything else is working nicely:  local use of "svn checkout
file:///svn/project1" works great and browsing the exact same WebDAV
url via a browser shows the repository nicely so I can't imagine it's
something wrong with my URL or the repository.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Newbie problems

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 5, 2007, at 17:26, Johnathan Gifford wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2007 at  5:11 PM, David Jacopille wrote:
>
>> I've configured Apache 2.2.4 and subversion 1.4.3 on OS X but I can't
>> seem to use the svn checkout command via WebDAV.  If I use a command
>> like this either locally or remotely:
>>
>> 	svn checkout http://svn.repository.com/svn/project1
>>
>> It gives the error: Unrecognized URL scheme for 'http://
>> svn.repository.com/svn/project1'.  Same if I use localhost or the IP,
>> with or without ports, trailing slashes.  Seems like I directly
>> copied the format right out of the manual.
>>
>> Everything else is working nicely:  local use of "svn checkout
>> file:///svn/project1" works great and browsing the exact same WebDAV
>> url via a browser shows the repository nicely so I can't imagine it's
>> something wrong with my URL or the repository.
>
> What does your Apache conf file look like for svn/project1?

The Apache conf is not relevant to the error message David gave:

Unrecognized URL scheme for 'http://svn.repository.com/svn/project1'.

David simply hasn't configured his Subversion to include Neon
support, which is required to access http- and https-based repositories.

David, if you're installing from source, download the subversion-deps
archive in addition to the subversion archive, decompress both to the
same folder, and configure subversion again. The subversion-deps
archive includes all the dependencies you need, including neon. Or,
you can download neon manually if you want and use that. (Neon is
available separately at http://www.webdav.org/ )

Another option is to install via MacPorts, which is how I got
Subversion. It's very easy:

sudo port install subversion +mod_dav_svn

is all you need to type to automatically download and install
Subversion and Apache 2 and all their dependencies.

http://www.macports.org/

Re: Newbie problems

Posted by David Jacopille <ti...@mac.com>.
This is my apache conf - looks like it's right out of the textbook:

<Location /svn>
     DAV svn
     SVNParentPath /svn
     AuthType Basic
     AuthName "Subversion repository"
     AuthUserFile /svn/svn-auth-file
     Require valid-user
</Location>

The security check works in a browser which then allows browsing
access to the repository.  The manual says that if --username and --
password are left out of the svn command it and security is present
it will ask for username and password but it never gets past the bad
URL.  I've also tried putting it in explicitly into the command line
so that it looks like this and it still doesn't work.

svn checkout http://svn.repository.com/svn/project1 --username dave --
password secret

Thanks,
Dave