Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> on 2005/10/28 21:41:23 UTC

New Solaris Zones

The solaris zones for Geronimo are being created, one for general
project use and one for tck use.

How shall we administer them?

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: New Solaris Zones

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 10/28/05, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:
> I think we should give all committers accounts.  As for sudo access,
> I think we should give it to a couple of committers that have a good
> unix background and are willing to help.  I'm willing to help, but my
> unix skills are weak.  I'm personally hoping that David Blevins
> (hint) and Jeff Genender volunteer (hint) as both of them have mad
> unix admin skills :)

I'm a Unix nut myself and I'd love to be involved in this. If
possible, count me in.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: New Solaris Zones

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
That's one...

geirm@apache.org

Re: New Solaris Zones

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: Wiki reorganization proposal

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
me too.  what camera?

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
Don't let us stand in your way...  looks good to me...

My only comment after a quick read through is to put the stuff to
help people get started right at the top.  Sorta like when you get a
camera or something it has a 1 page "Instructions for the Impatient"
or something.  I'd also rather see project overview be the website.

I first thought about two groupings - user/admin and developer, but
it's not really clear how things would fall - ex, does app migration
go to user or dev?

Anyway, soemthing like

  Installation
  Administration
  Hints and Tips

   Architecture
   Dev

I think what you have for each bucket is great, btw...

Nice.

geir

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,

Since this note is growing a lot, I wanted to summarize here some the
key things we need to address:

- Everybody, need more comments/opinions here!
- Review documentation strategy (what, where, how...)
- Define versioning policy for documentation.
- Create separated sections for each version.
- Move existing documentation to the corresponding new sections.
- Define update policy when code fixes impact the current documentation.
- Finish TOC for the new sections.
- Define a "Geronimo Central" for documentation (wiki, confluence, ...).
  Should we try to consolidate all the documentation in one place? which
one would be the best?

Comments inline.

Cheers!
Hernan

John Sisson wrote:
> Hi Hernan,
>
> I hope you don't feel that I don't want the wiki restructured, I just
> think we should discuss what the wiki should be used for and how we
> should deliver documentation for release x of Geronimo, accomodating
> future requirements.

don't worry, we are on the same page, just using different words :)

> IMHO, Geronimo for a large proportion of users is only as good as its
> documentation, which needs a rethink.  Look forward to an interesting
> discussion.

Totally agree, need more people jumping to this discussion.

> Others please chime in.
>
> Comments inline below..
>
> Regards,
>
> John
>
> Hernan Cunico wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> It will be very hard to keep updated all the documentation as new
>> branches/releases come available.  See comments inline
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Hernan
>>

>> John Sisson wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Hernan,
>>>
>>> The suggested layout sounds fine to me.  This is long overdue and is
>>> an opportunity to remove/move/fix documentation that no longer
>>> matches what has been implemented.
>>>
>>> My main concern with the use of the Wiki for documentation is that
>>> the Wiki content isn't versioned to match Geronimo releases.
>>

>> wiki should not be versioned the same way Geronimo is. I would say,
>> wiki should keep the pace of mayor milestones (M1, M5, V1...)
>>

>>> For example, if you go to the page about building Geronimo with
>>> eclipse and try using that with M4 you will have problems as the
>>> documentation relies upon changes since M4.
>>

>> Maybe a commmon header for all docs stating versions used would
>> address this issue.
>

> Are you saying we have a different version of each document for each
> version?
>
> We should be able to have an easily accessible archive of doco for a
> particular version of Geronimo.  A user who adopts 1.0 should be able to
> access the documentation for it (without it being polluted with updates
> from later releases that are not relevant to 1.0) for at least a few years.

I think we are saying the same thing with different words. What I was
suggesting was to just focus on major G versions (M4, M5, V1, ...) for
versioning the documentation. What I think we should avoid is to have as
many flavors of the same doc as intermediate G versions become
available.  Version.Release.Modification (V.R.M - 0.5.0). Otherwise it
would be impossible to maintain.

Maybe I'm confusing the terms (version/release). Some clarification will
be more than welcome.

>> ... These are the versions used for this doc, other versions have not
>> been tested and may not work...
>

> IMHO, wording like that in documentation normally wouldn't cut it in
> commercial software.  I think we are lacking a thought out strategy on
> documentation.  Sure there will be a few books that will be released on
> Geronimo, but I don't think we should be relying upon them for
> documentation.  Will they be able to put updated versions of these books
> with at the same time we put out a new geronimo release?

OK, that was a bad line. Still spinning around the same "version" issue.
I never mentioned anything about other books, if books become available
that would be great (as a complement of the G documentation on wiki,
confluence, ...)

What I wanted to say on that line was that we can only provide
documentation for some versions (major ones, M4, M5, V1, ...) and not
for all those in between.

> I view the wiki as a place that users can contribute notes or tips on
> Geronimo usage that should eventually be fed into formal (printable as a
> manual) documentation that is associated with each release.

wiki is great for everybody to add comments and fix the existing
documentation. I put some articles in confluence which allows you to
export in PDF, HTML or XML not only individual articles but entire
sections (Thanks Dain for the tip)

You just need to be logged in confluence to use this link

http://opensource2.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/spaces/exportspace.action?key=GERONIMO

>>> There have been other pages that have comments about what version
>>> they are applicable to (e.g. for M4 do this, but for M5 do that), but
>>> a user reading documentation for M5 doesn't want to have to skip all
>>> the bits about M4 for example.
>>

>> I agree, I don't think it will be a good solution having a doc
>> covering topic "A" and having having multiple entries to explain the
>> same procedure for M4, M5, V1, ...
>

> We need a solution for this issue.  Can others chime in here with
> suggestions?

Once we have identified how to deal with the versions/releases I think
it would be easier to address this issue.

>>> Is it possible to easily branch/copy the Wiki documentation when we
>>> do a release? For example, for the 1.0 release a branch of the Wiki
>>> is done so that the 1.0 documentation is easily accessible and can be
>>> updated if needed after 1.0 is released.
>>

>> Creating a new V1 branch for the wiki will imply not just to "copy"
>> some of the already available documentation but verifying each doc for
>> accuracy and compatibility with V1. Sort of "V1 Certified" instructions.
>>
>> I would say this process should not be automatic, it would require a
>> thorough reviewing of all the existing documentation.
>>

> I agree that it would require reviewing.  I am hoping that if we come up
> with a structured manual, when code changes are made, if there is an
> impact to the documentation then the developer will make the appropriate
> documentation changes.  Other projects do this, why shouldn't we?
> Currently I think it is hard to find parts of the wiki that need
> updating when code changes are made, since it isn't structured in a way
> that is easy to find the related doco.

Having the developers updating the documentation as they fix the code
would be great. We should define a process where the
developer/contributor provides the code fix to the committer along with
the piece of documentation to update. This way the documentation would
be updated once the fix is "implemented". (just an idea)

>>> An issue I can see with branching/copying the Wiki content for each
>>> release is that some users may update the doco in the branch, but not
>>> the main doco that will be used for the next release.
>>
>> Yup, this wil be an additional issue.
>>
>> Maybe we should create an entry (I wouldn't call them branches as they
>> would be more like the "release" type, main docs.) for M4, one for M5
>> and one for the upcoming versions. We have some M4 and M5 docs today,
>> I would suggest to separate the docs by version/milestone and focus on
>> finishing M5, have this milestone as complete as possible creating the
>> foundation for V1 doc.
>>

> This sounds like it is heading in the right direction, but doesn't solve
> the printable manual option.  Think a year or two down the track.. I
> don't think the documentation will be small, so printing documentation
> page by page does not sound appropriate.  I think we need to be able to
> print a PDF with the full bookmarks/hyperlinking etc (like the Derby doco).

I think we may have a solution for this already as commented earlier in
this note.

>>> I like Wikis, except for the problem described above.  I can only see
>>> this problem getting worse as more releases are shipped.
>>>
>>> An alternative is to develop the main documentation under svn control
>>> (the Derby project does this), but that would mean updates would have
>>> to be submitted as patches.  Derby's doco can be easily generated as
>>> a PDF with bookmarks etc, which is great for offline or printing.
>>

>> Not sure if submitting updated as patches would be an issue. What is
>> not  clear to me is svn. Isn't a version control alrady in place for
>> the documentation?
>

> AFAIK, it is date versioned, but the wiki doesn't natively support
> branches of documentation and tagging of releases.  How easy is it to
> make a copy of all M5 doco for the basis of M6 doco in the wiki?  Any
> wiki admin gurus here?
>

>> It would be great to have a better "Show diff" functionality so you
>> not only know there is a new version, but also know what's changed.
>

> AFAIK, you can do diffs in the wiki now (may not be easy for those
> unfamiliar with wikis to use).

I was thinking in a more WYSIWYG like and not wiki "code". Geronimo
documentation consumers should focus on Geronimo and not on
understanding wiki formating.

Better documentation we provide, more users will move to Geronimo.

>>> Maybe IBM be interested in taking a similar approach with the
>>> documentation as Derby (contributing docs and resources for docs and
>>> using it as a basis of their commercial product docs), as far as I
>>> can tell, the Cloudscape doco is based on the open source Derby doco?
>>

>> Not sure what you mean!?
>>

> The Derby printed documentation is not from a wiki, AFAIK, they use DITA
> (Darwin Informatation Typing Architecture) sourced XML documentation
> that can be converted to both PDF and HTML book/files formats using
> Apache FOP.
>
> They have 6 manuals that have been produced using this.
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/dita.html
>
> AFAIK, IBM's Cloudscape's documentation is based upon the documentation
> contributed to Derby.  Derby is probably not the best example since when
> the documentation was initially contributed by IBM it was pretty much
> complete, since they contributed what was the Cloudscape documentation
> (please correct me if I am wrong).
>
> I was wondering whether IBM or any other ISV that is considering
> producing their own documentation for products derived from Geronimo
> consider whether there would be benefits in contributing Geronimo
> documentation to the Apache Geronimo project and use that as a base of
> their customised documentation.  Maybe we should speak with the Derby
> project and ask for their experiences with their current documentation
> processes.
>

>>> No harm in asking :-) ?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> John

- Geronimo for the impatiens (aka Compressed Getting Started)

Posted by John Sisson <js...@apache.org>.
Hi Hernan,

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Nov 1, 2005, at 8:27 PM, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> John Sisson wrote:
>>
>> My main concern with the use of the Wiki for documentation is that
>> the
>> Wiki content isn't versioned to match Geronimo releases.

[snip]

>> An alternative is to develop the main documentation under svn control
>> (the Derby project does this), but that would mean updates would
>> have to
>> be submitted as patches.  Derby's doco can be easily generated as
>> a PDF
>> with bookmarks etc, which is great for offline or printing.
>>

> Perhaps some mix would be good, such as a weekly checkin to
> svn of any changes to the wiki.  Of course, then there's
> the issue of format compatibility.  Do the wikis in use
> provide for XML exports?  If so, a little glue should be
> able to automatically manage the conversion and checkin.
> The major problems I see with that is that the who-changed-what
> accountability is lost (unless a change to the wiki can
> be included in the export as an XML entity that can be used
> to identify the changer in svn), and that changes made
> between checkpoints don't get recorded.

I've cranked my brain on this one for awhile as OpenEJB now uses
confluence for documentation rather than generating html from xml
stored in cvs as we did before.

XML importing and exporting is possible in confluence, as well as
html and pdf exports (no import for those, though).  As a couple
releases ago, they also have the ability to have "listeners" or
something that you can set up to be executed when pages are changed,
added, removed, etc.  So, the most aggressive approach I can think of
is that we could setup a listener that exports the entire page and
checks it into svn.  Some less aggressive version of that is possible
too.

As far as versioning, the best i can think of would be to have a
Confluence Space per svn branch.  So a GERONIMO-X space for each
release branch under geronimo/branches/.  Using Tomcat as an example
as we don't have branches yet, that'd be something like TOMCAT-4,
TOMCAT-50 and TOMCAT-55.  You could even start a new space by
exporting from the previous major version's space, creating a new
space, then importing to the new space. If you export aggressively,
you can start a new Space from what's in svn.

Anyway, I haven't solved the problem completely but thats a high
level dump of what's in my brain in regards to import/export, source
control, and versioning.

-David

Re: Wiki reorganization proposal

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Wiki reorganization proposal

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Nov 3, 2005, at 9:28 AM, Hernan Cunico wrote:

> Hi All,
> It seems like we all agree that versioning is extremely important
> although still not too clear to me what would be the versioning
> strategy.

with conventional documentation, where it's part of the project SVN
or CVS tree, it's really easy - when you cut a branch for a release,
you are also including the documentation.

> Still regarding to documentation and equally important is where to
> place the documentation. Apache wiki and Confluence are 50/50. I
> believe having the documentation all spread out across several
> places and formats is as bad as not having documentation. I
> personally think Confluence is more flexible (export to other
> formats), has better formating and more user friendly. Should we
> propose voting to have this issue addressed?

Voting won't change the fact that a wiki (MoinMoin|Confluence) is a
collaboration tool :)

My preference would be to *not* use a wiki, be it MoinMoin or
Confluence, for project documentation (maybe use Confluence as an
editing tool if it could export a useful format that could be
consumed by other renderers?).

> I have not seen many comments back on the reorganized structure
> itself. I would really like to see some more interaction there.
>
> Last but not least, should we start creating one major section for
> each major release (M4, M5, ...) on the wiki (or confluence)? This
> would be the first step forward in the reorganization.

Well, that's what doing docs in the project get you - there is a
natural progression of versions, as they get "carried along" with the
code version.

geir

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by John Sisson <js...@apache.org>.
Hi Hernan,

Re: New Solaris Zones

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
Great.  That's two :)

Once I'm in, I'll get you guys in, and we'll take it from there.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: New Solaris Zones

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.