Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2006/03/17 17:22:49 UTC

[VOTE] Release Validator 1.3.0 based on RC2

I have just uploaded release candidate 2 (RC2) for Commons Validator 1.3.0.
The main differences from RC1 was to remove further references to the
cancelled 1.2.1 version..

RC2 is here:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-validator-1.3.0-rc2/

Site here:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-validator-1.3.0-rc2/site/

Release notes here:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-validator-1.3.0-rc2/site/changes-report.html

------------
[ ] +1  I support this release
[ ] +0
[ ] -0
[ ] -1  I do not support this release because...

Re: [VOTE] Release Validator 1.3.0 based on RC2

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 3/19/06, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/18/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Need sigs - and pointer to the KEYS file to use them with.
>
> I didn't think we needed to do these until a RC was approved and the
> actual release was cut. I'll do them for the next RC though if thats
> whats required.

Other RCs recently have had them - it's probably worth the effort.

Plus Phil's checking script does both md5s and sigs at the same time :)

Hen

Re: [VOTE] Release Validator 1.3.0 based on RC2

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
Rahul, Henri, thanks for the feedback - comments inline.

On 3/18/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/17/06, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3/17/06, Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > > I have just uploaded release candidate 2 (RC2) for Commons Validator 1.3.0.
> > > The main differences from RC1 was to remove further references to the
> > > cancelled 1.2.1 version..
> > >
> > <snip/>
> >
> > Source tarball builds / sites.
>
> Yep. Builds (lots of error noise, but trunk makes the same noise).

The "exception" test was working fine, but the stack traces for the
"runtime" exceptions were showing in the output which made it look
like their were problems. Anyway, the tests are pretty pointless for
Validator 1.x and since the planned exception handling changes never
took place, I've commented them out. With a couple of other changes I
made there should be much less "noise".

> Dist builds. Various errors on the way (jsdoc fails, svn fails) but it
> suceeds as a job-wise (takes forever :) [8 minutes] ).

Maven runs the tests four times - the additional three times because
of  the jdepend, junit and jcoverage plugins. I've removed the jdepend
plugin. The other reason it takes so long is the UrlTest takes about
30 seconds (and its repeated). At some point I'll try to take a look
at refactoring this test, but it'll have to wait till after the
release.

> > Couple of comments:
> >  * md5s do not verify.
> >  * no sigs available to verify.
> >
> > Can someone please confirm / refute my md5 observations?
>
> Confirmed:
>
> ERROR: Checksum stored in commons-validator-1.3.0-RC2-src.zip.md5 does
> not match commons-validator-1.3.0-RC2-src.zip
> Correct hash:  945b7f27b34006259405a086587b8de5
> File contents: 99b24844a16e59734a06dd2fa0d11c30
>
> All of the md5 files have the same contents - so definitely a problem there.

Good catch, thanks. All the "checksum" tasks used the same property
name, but it appears that if the property already has a value it
doesn't overwrite it. I've changed the maven build so that each one
uses a property with a unique name and it seems to have sorted out the
problem. This means I need to cut a new RC.

> Need sigs - and pointer to the KEYS file to use them with.

I didn't think we needed to do these until a RC was approved and the
actual release was cut. I'll do them for the next RC though if thats
whats required.

> Should we be worried that the trunk of validator failed its gump
> build? Works fine for me locally using Maven, but the Ant one requires
> setting up N variables and after years of Maven I just hate having to
> do that.

The gump failure was because I changed the ant build to create a jar
which included the version number (as the maven build does) - this
screwed up what gump was expecting, but Bill Barker sorted it out in
gump.

I have changed the ant build to automatically download dependencies so
in the next RC it should work without having to set up N variables.

Niall

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 3/17/06, Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I have just uploaded release candidate 2 (RC2) for Commons Validator 1.3.0.
> The main differences from RC1 was to remove further references to the
> cancelled 1.2.1 version..

<snip/>

Source tarball builds / sites.

Couple of comments:
 * md5s do not verify.
 * no sigs available to verify.

Can someone please confirm / refute my md5 observations?

I meant to participate in the version discussion earlier,
unfortunately I left it for too late. Thanks a lot for churning out
two new RCs so quickly, I think validator 1.3.0 is a step in the right
direction, atleast for my usecases.

-Rahul

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 3/20/06, Oliver Heger <ol...@t-online.de> wrote:
> On Suse Linux 9 I get the same errors as Phil. The special distro solves
> the problem with CurrencyValidatorTest for me, but ValidatorTest is
> still failing. Below is the test report.

Thanks for taking the time to check out the RC - much appreciated. The
problem with that test is that it relies on the default Locale being
US - I assume your default locale is German?

Anyway, I've changed the test and created another distro, which I'm
hoping you'll be able to try out to verify that this is indeed the
problem:

http://people.apache.org/~niallp/validator-1.3.0-OLIVER/

Niall

> Oliver

<snip>
> Testsuite: org.apache.commons.validator.ValidatorTest
> Tests run: 4, Failures: 2, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0,374 sec
>
> Testcase:
> testManualObject(org.apache.commons.validator.ValidatorTest):    FAILED
>
> Testcase:
> testOnlyReturnErrors(org.apache.commons.validator.ValidatorTest):    FAILED
> null
</snip>

Re: [VOTE] Release Validator 1.3.0 based on RC2

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@t-online.de>.
Niall Pemberton wrote:

>On 3/20/06, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Happy to do that.  I will be out of pocket for the next 10 hrs or so,
>>>but will be happy to help later this eve (US EST).  I will do some
>>>more investigating tonight.  Has anyone else tested on Linux?
>>>

>>Thanks Phil appreciate the assistance. I've had a thought on this -
>>I've used the UK Pound symbol (£) in my JUnit test case - but its not
>>part of the standard ASCII character set like $ is and I think this is
>>might be where the problem lies. I'm going to replace this to get the
>>UK currenecy symbol from DecimalFormatSymbols (rather than hard coding
>>in the java JUnit test). I'll post a test version for you to download
>>and run.
>>

>OK I've created a test version which I'm hoping will resolve this,
>source distros available here:
>
>http://people.apache.org/~niallp/validator-1.3.0-PHIL/
>
>Should just need to run "maven test" to verify if this has cured the problem.
>
>tia
>
>Niall

On Suse Linux 9 I get the same errors as Phil. The special distro solves
the problem with CurrencyValidatorTest for me, but ValidatorTest is
still failing. Below is the test report.

Oliver

Testsuite: org.apache.commons.validator.ValidatorTest
Tests run: 4, Failures: 2, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0,374 sec

Testcase:
testManualObject(org.apache.commons.validator.ValidatorTest):    FAILED
Validation of the date formatting has failed.
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Validation of the date formatting
has failed.
    at
org.apache.commons.validator.ValidatorTest.testManualObject(ValidatorTest.java:98)
    at
    at
    at org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.ant.AntTag.doTag(AntTag.java:185)
    at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.TagScript.run(TagScript.java:279)
    at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.ScriptBlock.run(ScriptBlock.java:135)
    at org.apache.commons.jelly.TagSupport.invokeBody(TagSupport.java:233)
    at org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.core.IfTag.doTag(IfTag.java:88)
    at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.TagScript.run(TagScript.java:279)
    at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.ScriptBlock.run(ScriptBlock.java:135)
    at
org.apache.maven.jelly.tags.werkz.MavenGoalTag.runBodyTag(MavenGoalTag.java:79)
    at
org.apache.maven.jelly.tags.werkz.MavenGoalTag$MavenGoalAction.performAction(MavenGoalTag.java:110)
    at com.werken.werkz.Goal.fire(Goal.java:639)
    at com.werken.werkz.Goal.attain(Goal.java:575)
    at com.werken.werkz.Goal.attainPrecursors(Goal.java:488)
    at com.werken.werkz.Goal.attain(Goal.java:573)
    at com.werken.werkz.Goal.attainPrecursors(Goal.java:488)
    at com.werken.werkz.Goal.attain(Goal.java:573)
    at
org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginManager.attainGoals(PluginManager.java:671)
    at org.apache.maven.MavenSession.attainGoals(MavenSession.java:263)
    at org.apache.maven.cli.App.doMain(App.java:488)
    at org.apache.maven.cli.App.main(App.java:1239)
    at
    at
    at com.werken.forehead.Forehead.run(Forehead.java:551)
    at com.werken.forehead.Forehead.main(Forehead.java:581)

Testcase:
testOnlyReturnErrors(org.apache.commons.validator.ValidatorTest):    FAILED
null
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError
    at
org.apache.commons.validator.ValidatorTest.testOnlyReturnErrors(ValidatorTest.java:146)

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 3/21/06, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> PHIL and OLIVER both work for me.    Sorry for the latency and thanks
> for your patience :-)

Great. No apology necesary - I appreciate you taking the time to check
out the RC, especially since it identified a problem with the tests.

Niall

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Niall Pemberton wrote:

> On 3/20/06, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
[snip]
>> Test succeeds, but get those strange messages on console. Running Gentoo,
>> Sun JDK 1.4.2 with German locale. Tested with current trunk, Phil's and
>> Oliver's version, all behave the same for me.
>
> Thanks for doing this Jörg,
>
> The funny messages are just where validator logs error conditions - so
> tests for those conditions are causing the output.
>
> I guess if they all behave the same for you (i.e. pass the tests?), I
> need to wait for Phil and Oliver to verify if its sorted the issue
> they experienced.

OK. But it is definitely not Linux in general.

- Jörg

Re: [VOTE] Release Validator 1.3.0 based on RC2

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 3/20/06, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3/19/06, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3/18/06, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > The maven build fails for me on RH FC2, both Sun JDK 1.5.0_06 and
> > > 1.4.2_10 with the same failures attached below.  Could be my local
> > > setup or some undocumented config dependencies (I tried to config the
> > > javadoc thingy mentioned in maven.xml, but still see the same
> > > failures).  I get the same failures with Ant, once build properties
> > > are set.
> >
> > The stack traces are misleading - they're from an "exception test"
> > that actually passes. The problem seems to be that
> > CurrencyValidatorTest has failed for you. Could you post the output
> > for that test please?
>
> Here is what I get, with either of the JDKs above and either maven
> (1.0.2) or Ant (1.6.5).  Could be this is a problem with my local
> setup?   Some of the errors in the report above seemed to be referring
> to localization setup...?

The three tests that are failing set the default Locale to Locale.UK
(using Locale.setDefault) and then try and parse a number using the
default currency pattern for the default Locale. The thing is, other
JUnit tests in that package also do the same kind of thing, so its
strange that only the currency test is failing.

Its v.late here, so I'll need to look at this tommorrow. The only
thing I can think of doing is put in a load of debug statements and
ask you to run it (if you have the time and don't mind) and send me
the output.

Thanks for this.

Niall

Re: [VOTE] Release Validator 1.3.0 based on RC2

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
> On 3/19/06, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/18/06, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The maven build fails for me on RH FC2, both Sun JDK 1.5.0_06 and
> > 1.4.2_10 with the same failures attached below.  Could be my local
> > setup or some undocumented config dependencies (I tried to config the
> > javadoc thingy mentioned in maven.xml, but still see the same
> > failures).  I get the same failures with Ant, once build properties
> > are set.
>
> The stack traces are misleading - they're from an "exception test"
> that actually passes. The problem seems to be that
> CurrencyValidatorTest has failed for you. Could you post the output
> for that test please?

Here is what I get, with either of the JDKs above and either maven
(1.0.2) or Ant (1.6.5).  Could be this is a problem with my local
setup?   Some of the errors in the report above seemed to be referring
to localization setup...?

Testsuite: org.apache.commons.validator.routines.CurrencyValidatorTest
Tests run: 6, Failures: 3, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.02 sec

Testcase: testPattern(org.apache.commons.validator.routines.CurrencyValidatorTest):	FAILED
default expected:<1234.567> but was:<null>
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: default expected:<1234.567> but was:<null>
	at org.apache.commons.validator.routines.CurrencyValidatorTest.testPattern(CurrencyValidatorTest.java:181)
[...]

Testcase: testValid(org.apache.commons.validator.routines.CurrencyValidatorTest):	FAILED
Default locale expected:<1234.56> but was:<null>
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Default locale
expected:<1234.56> but was:<null>
	at org.apache.commons.validator.routines.CurrencyValidatorTest.testValid(CurrencyValidatorTest.java:85)
[...]

Testcase: testIntegerValid(org.apache.commons.validator.routines.CurrencyValidatorTest):	FAILED
Default locale expected:<1234.00> but was:<null>
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Default locale
expected:<1234.00> but was:<null>
	at org.apache.commons.validator.routines.CurrencyValidatorTest.testIntegerValid(CurrencyValidatorTest.java:138)

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 3/18/06, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The maven build fails for me on RH FC2, both Sun JDK 1.5.0_06 and
> 1.4.2_10 with the same failures attached below.  Could be my local
> setup or some undocumented config dependencies (I tried to config the
> javadoc thingy mentioned in maven.xml, but still see the same
> failures).  I get the same failures with Ant, once build properties
> are set.

The stack traces are misleading - they're from an "exception test"
that actually passes. The problem seems to be that
CurrencyValidatorTest has failed for you. Could you post the output
for that test please?

> Some additional (non-blocking) comments:
>
> I personally prefer the source distro to unpack to -src.
>
> The source distro should include a build.properties.sample, as the Ant
> build does not grab dependencies and location properties have to be
> set.  Some properties seem to be missing (e.g. "oro.jar" is used but
> never set in the build.xml).  Also, it would be good for the ant build
> to include comments on which versions of the commons jars are required
> and also to encapsulate the names.  We should not be encouraging
> people to continue the old practice of renaming release jars.  Both of
> these issues could be worked around by modifying the ant build to grab
> the dependencies.

There is a build.properties.sample, but it wasn't being included in
the source distro - I've changed the build to now include this. I've
also updated the ant build to automatically download dependencies.
Because of the md5 problem Rahul/Henri found there needs to be a new
RC anyway, so these will be available then.

> I don't like the practice of having release notes just point to online
> docs.  This is common practice in commons, but IMO it is a bad one -
> we should include text copies of full release notes with the releases.

I've changed the release notes to be a html document and have a link
which points  to a local copy of the "changes-report.html" - which
includes full details of all changes in the version.

Thanks for taking the time to review and feedback on this RC - much appreciated.

Niall

Re: [VOTE] Release Validator 1.3.0 based on RC2

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
[...]

Maven build errrors:

java:compile:
    [echo] Compiling to m-target/classes
dojo.compress.files:
    [java] [ERROR] Java Result: 1
    [java] [ERROR] Java Result: 1
    [java] [ERROR] Java Result: 1
    [java] [ERROR] Java Result: 1
    [java] [ERROR] Java Result: 1
    [java] [ERROR] Java Result: 1
    [java] [ERROR] Java Result: 1
    [java] [ERROR] Java Result: 1
    [java] [ERROR] Java Result: 1
    [java] [ERROR] Java Result: 1
    [java] [ERROR] Java Result: 1
    [java] [ERROR] Java Result: 1
    [java] [ERROR] Java Result: 1
    [java] [ERROR] Java Result: 1

java:jar-resources:

test:prepare-filesystem:

test:test-resources:

test:compile:

test:test:
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.ShortTest
    [junit] Tests run: 6, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 1.039 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.GenericValidatorTest
    [junit] Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.04 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.RetrieveFormTest
Form 'INVALID_NAME' not found for locale 'en_US'
Form 'INVALID_NAME' not found for locale 'fr'
Form 'INVALID_NAME' not found for locale 'fr_FR'
Form 'INVALID_NAME' not found for locale 'en_CA'
Form 'INVALID_NAME' not found for locale 'fr_CA'
Form 'INVALID_NAME' not found for locale 'fr_CA_XXX'
    [junit] Tests run: 5, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.815 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.ValidatorTest
ValidatorTest.formatDate() - Unparseable date: "2/30/1999"
    [junit] Tests run: 4, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.48 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.FloatTest
    [junit] Tests run: 6, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.826 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.EntityImportTest
    [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.885 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.UrlTest
    [junit] Tests run: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 24.386 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.ExtensionTest
    [junit] Tests run: 8, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.384 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.RequiredNameTest
    [junit] Tests run: 6, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.244 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.VarTest
    [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.245 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.ExceptionTest
Unhandled exception thrown during validation: RUNTIME-EXCEPTION
java.lang.RuntimeException: RUNTIME-EXCEPTION
	at org.apache.commons.validator.TestValidator.validateRaiseException(TestValidator.java:52)
	at org.apache.commons.validator.ValidatorAction.executeValidationMethod(ValidatorAction.java:543)
	at org.apache.commons.validator.Field.validateForRule(Field.java:766)
	at org.apache.commons.validator.Field.validate(Field.java:846)
	at org.apache.commons.validator.Form.validate(Form.java:290)
	at org.apache.commons.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:354)
	at org.apache.commons.validator.ExceptionTest.testRuntimeException(ExceptionTest.java:98)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTestRunner.run(JUnitTestRunner.java:325)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTask.executeInVM(JUnitTask.java:848)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTask.execute(JUnitTask.java:556)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTask.execute(JUnitTask.java:532)
[...]
Unhandled exception thrown during validation: CHECKED-EXCEPTION
java.lang.Exception: CHECKED-EXCEPTION
	at org.apache.commons.validator.TestValidator.validateRaiseException(TestValidator.java:55)
	at org.apache.commons.validator.ValidatorAction.executeValidationMethod(ValidatorAction.java:543)
	at org.apache.commons.validator.Field.validateForRule(Field.java:766)
	at org.apache.commons.validator.Field.validate(Field.java:846)
	at org.apache.commons.validator.Form.validate(Form.java:290)
	at org.apache.commons.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:354)
	at org.apache.commons.validator.ExceptionTest.testCheckedException(ExceptionTest.java:127)
[...]
    [junit] Tests run: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.174 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.util.FlagsTest
    [junit] Tests run: 11, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.009 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.LocaleTest
    [junit] Tests run: 5, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.247 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.ValidatorResultsTest
    [junit] Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.174 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.CreditCardValidatorTest
    [junit] Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.007 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.DoubleTest
    [junit] Tests run: 6, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.379 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.LongTest
    [junit] Tests run: 8, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.31 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.MultipleConfigFilesTest
    [junit] Tests run: 5, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.272 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.TypeTest
    [junit] Tests run: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.378 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.DateTest
    [junit] Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.159 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.EmailTest
    [junit] Tests run: 8, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.511 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.ByteTest
    [junit] Tests run: 8, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.306 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.IntegerTest
    [junit] Tests run: 8, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.313 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.RequiredIfTest
    [junit] Tests run: 5, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.362 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.routines.DoubleValidatorTest
    [junit] Tests run: 11, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.012 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.commons.validator.routines.CurrencyValidatorTest
    [junit] Tests run: 6, Failures: 3, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.016 sec
    [junit] [ERROR] TEST

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
Because of a problem with how the md5 checksums are generated the vote
on this release candidate is CANCELLED.

I'll post a new vote when a new RC is ready.

Niall