Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Not Speedy <no...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/16 17:31:18 UTC

MariaDB or driver update might break guacamole

this is more of an fyi..I updated my system today and guacamole broke.  I
noticed this in my tomcat logs..
Cause: java.sql.SQLException: The server time zone value 'CDT' is
unrecognized or represents more than one time zone. You must configure
either the server or JDBC driver (via the serverTimezone configuration
property).....

To get around this, I set the global timezone to match the timezone on the
server.

 (confirm path of your OS timezone info)
mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql -u root MySQL

then connect to instance and
SET GLOBAL time_zone = America/Chicago;

I don't know if this is a bug with the db or driver. it could be an
intentional change. If its intentional, it might be handy to add a
connection string option to guacamole.properties to handle this.

Re: MariaDB or driver update might break guacamole

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 1:31 PM Not Speedy <no...@gmail.com> wrote:

> this is more of an fyi..I updated my system today and guacamole broke.  I
> noticed this in my tomcat logs..
> Cause: java.sql.SQLException: The server time zone value 'CDT' is
> unrecognized or represents more than one time zone. You must configure
> either the server or JDBC driver (via the serverTimezone configuration
> property).....
>
> To get around this, I set the global timezone to match the timezone on the
> server.
>
>  (confirm path of your OS timezone info)
> mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql -u root MySQL
>
> then connect to instance and
> SET GLOBAL time_zone = America/Chicago;
>
> I don't know if this is a bug with the db or driver. it could be an
> intentional change. If its intentional, it might be handy to add a
> connection string option to guacamole.properties to handle this.

It seems like several different languages and systems have started warning
about unreliable guessing of timezones.  PHP did this a while back, and
you're supposed to either set it at a system level or within the code.  So,
not terribly surprising that it's making its way into other places, too.

If you want to you can enter a feature request (or maybe minor bug?) for
this in the Guacamole JIRA instance so we can track getting that added.
Probably worth taking a look at the other DBs and seeing if they need it
added, as well.

-Nick