Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by David Shere <ds...@steelerubber.com> on 2007/01/24 22:49:47 UTC

Newbie's impressions

Someone suggested that there are no newbies in this forum.  Hi.  Newbie
here.  Started working with OFBiz about six months ago.  I don't post
much, because:

1.  We have a handful of paid consultants we use when we have technical
problems we can't figure out.
2.  My average propensity to try to solve a problem by myself seems to
be higher than most other people's.
3.  Most of the time by I find a problem, someone else has found it too.
4.  I sometimes feel that my understanding of OFBiz is not yet high
enough for my technical comments to be useful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the community consists
of the following:

1.  Download and use of the software is free of charge, not free of work.
2.  Software is not guaranteed to work, but it does work very well most
of the time.
3.  Use and modify at your own risk
4.  If you don't like something, submit a fix.  If you can't bring
yourself to do that, pay someone else to submit the fix.  If you can't
do that, suggest/request (not demand) that someone else submit a fix
free of charge.  Otherwise, live with the thing you don't like, and
remind yourself that you got the software for free.
5.  If you have a need for a specific piece of functionality, you can
wait an indefinite period of time for someone else to pay for it, or pay
for it yourself.  Of course, if your need is critical, you may not have
time to wait.

When we first started working with OFBiz, I was truly amazed at how much
functionality and documentation the software already had - for FREE, and
at the fact that most of that had been paid for by other companies.
We were going to reap the benefits of someone else's investment.  I
don't make the buying decisions around here, but I certainly hope that
we give back to the community by supporting further development, either
through outside paid developers, or by contributing some of our own
development.  Already, we have made small modifications that either have
been committed or are potential contributions in the future.

My perception, real or not, of the developers in this community who make
money from consulting and customized development is that they do a lot
for free.  Many of the other developers at the November conference in
Ephraim gave us lots of help while we were there and continued to do so
afterwards.

I am one of three full time programmers tasked with developing OFBiz for
use by our company, and a fourth who knows our old system backwards and
forwards who also helps out when needed.  I see our total development
time being 18 months, possibly longer.  There are two reasons for this,
one being that we have the tedious task of converting our old sales data
(back to 1993).  The second is that the four of us also have to keep 40
computers and telephones, our telephone system, our old database system,
a mail server, and a webserver running so that we can still move
product.  During our efforts so far to convert, I have never felt that
we don't have abundant resources at our disposal, paid or unpaid.

Now... back to figuring out which table entries to mark an order as paid
with a check...

--
David Shere
Information Technology Services

Re: Newbie's impressions

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jan 24, 2007, at 2:49 PM, David Shere wrote:

> Someone suggested that there are no newbies in this forum.  Hi.
> Newbie here.  Started working with OFBiz about six months ago.

Thanks for your comments David. Based on what you wrote here I'd say
you've crossed the line out of newbie territory!

> I don't post much, because:
>
> 1.  We have a handful of paid consultants we use when we have
> technical problems we can't figure out.
> 2.  My average propensity to try to solve a problem by myself seems
> to be higher than most other people's.
> 3.  Most of the time by I find a problem, someone else has found it
> too.
> 4.  I sometimes feel that my understanding of OFBiz is not yet high
> enough for my technical comments to be useful.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the community
> consists of the following:
>
> 1.  Download and use of the software is free of charge, not free of
> work.
> 2.  Software is not guaranteed to work, but it does work very well
> most of the time.
> 3.  Use and modify at your own risk
> 4.  If you don't like something, submit a fix.  If you can't bring
> yourself to do that, pay someone else to submit the fix.  If you
> can't do that, suggest/request (not demand) that someone else
> submit a fix free of charge.  Otherwise, live with the thing you
> don't like, and remind yourself that you got the software for free.
> 5.  If you have a need for a specific piece of functionality, you
> can wait an indefinite period of time for someone else to pay for
> it, or pay for it yourself.  Of course, if your need is critical,
> you may not have time to wait.

No need for corrections here. This is a very good perspective on the
project.

For some these ideas may feel like a slap in the face, or perhaps a
bit too much reality for their preferences. For most I think that
they view this as it is, and use that as an empowerment, and
opportunity to get things done in ways that simply wouldn't be
possible or affordable with other (especially commercial) software
packages in this same space.

Anyway, thanks again for your comments. If you have a hard time
finding that check payment stuff, do feel free to ask. My guess is
that with the good attitude you have and the approach you're taking
that you've already found and solved it by now...

-David