Posted to oro-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2004/06/24 18:55:28 UTC

Re: Perl 6

In message <Pi...@orinoco.flamefew.net>, Hen
ri Yandell writes:
>Any plans for ORO to support the new and novel Perl 6 syntax? It seems
>that they've largely defined an initial spec for it, and this would be one
>way to give ORO a raison d'etre over java.util.regex. Could even jump the
>gun and have it out and supported before Perl 6 (no rush :) ).

I think it's a great idea, but I haven't looked at the new Perl 6 syntax
recently and recall a lot of it doesn't translate well to Java.  However,
I don't have any itches in that area and am only performing maintenance
duties as required by the demands of other projects or users.  So I
certainly won't be leading a Perl 6 charge.  The VFS discussion on
commons-dev drove the new engine factories and it also seemed to indicate
a need for some of the missing Perl5 > 5.003 features, so I'll make an
effort to implement zero-width lookbehind assertions.  But if anyone
has a hankering to implement a new regex engine, a Perl 6 engine
would be a great way to get involved.  Where the project goes is in the
user's and would-be committers hands.  Right now development is motivated
by the need for projects to have a regex bridge for pre-J2SE 1.4 JVMs.

daniel