Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Rick Kellogg <rm...@comcast.net> on 2003/10/07 04:00:13 UTC

Web Service Book List

Hello gang!

I am in the process of collecting a fairly comprehensive listing of
books on web services and related topics.  Please take a look at the
spreadsheet and forward any additions/corrections you might have.
Ultimately, I want to include this info as a link from the ws.apache.org
site.

Thanks,

Rick

Re: Web Service Book List

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Rick Kellogg wrote:
> Well here goes my latest attempt.  Please take a look and provide
> comments.  The attached file is in XML.
>
> Features list:
>   Apache-Axis
>   Apache-SOAP
>   MS-WebServices
>   MS-WSE
>   Security
>   SUN-JAX-RPC
>   SUN-JAXM
>   SUN-JAXR
>   SUN-JWSDP
>   SUN-SAAJ
>   UDDI
>   XML-RPC
>   XML-Schema
>   WSDL
>
> Rick

This is good. We should add a url field, then split out ASIN from ISBN.
Maybe the date should be an xsd:date field, though that is questionable.

A bit of stylesheeting and we have the HTML docs.

If you look at docs/axis-bibliography.bib, I had put together a classic
.bib bibliography for use by things like LaTeX. But an XML source could
be XSLT'd into a .bib file without too much difficulty.

We just need a DTD/schema for a bibliography style and the XSL files to
go with it. What you have done seems like a good starting place, unless
anyone can point to some broader bibliography XML format we should use.
And no, I dont want it to be RDF/dublin-core based :)

-steve

RE: Web Service Book List

Posted by Rick Kellogg <rm...@comcast.net>.
Well gang.  I have been busy.  Can someone take a look and maybe start
creating a suitable XSLT file?  I am not very good at it.  If we need to
change the format of anything that will not be a problem.

Over the course of the next week I will probably add at least a dozen more
entries.  This list includes just about every web service book I could find.
Now we need to come up with a filtering and search mechanism.

Take a peek.
Rick

I see the ISBN for the "Programming Web Services with SOAP" (OReilly)
has been omitted.
It is: 0-596-00095-2
See http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/progwebsoap/

stephen

Rick Kellogg wrote:

> Well here goes my latest attempt.  Please take a look and provide
> comments.  The attached file is in XML.
>
> Features list:
>   Apache-Axis
>   Apache-SOAP
>   MS-WebServices
>   MS-WSE
>   Security
>   SUN-JAX-RPC
>   SUN-JAXM
>   SUN-JAXR
>   SUN-JWSDP
>   SUN-SAAJ
>   UDDI
>   XML-RPC
>   XML-Schema
>   WSDL
>
> Rick

is a reasonable book, despite is apparent thinness and relative age. If it
has a major weakness it believes everything works as intended, which regular
Axis users will know is not quite true yet. Maybe they didn't want to fault
missing features and other gotchas, assuming they would be fixed by the time
the product shipped, but the effective result is that you can get into minor
trouble working from this book, trying to use bits that aren't there, or
just don't work (yet).
>         </COMMENTS>
>     </BOOK>
>     <BOOK>
>         <TITLE>Beginning Java Web Services</TITLE>
>         <AUTHORS>
>             <AUTHOR>Henry Bequet</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Meeraj Kunnumpurath</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Sean Rhody</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Andre Tost</AUTHOR>
>         </AUTHORS>
>         <PUBLISHER>Wrox</PUBLISHER>
>         <PUBLISH-ID>ISBN B0000B0T02</PUBLISH-ID>
>         <FEATURES>
>             <FEATURE NAME="Apache-Axis" VERSION="Beta-3" />
>         </FEATURES>
>         <PUBLISHED>September-2002</PUBLISHED>
>         <COMMENTS>
>             An introductory book, with the early chapters focusing on
Axis. The sample chapter shows how to install Axis with Tomcat 4.0: we do
not believe that their approach is the best. It is easier to drop jaxrpc.jar
and saaj.jar into the CATALINA_HOME/common/lib dir than it is to add all
axis jars to the classpath by hand. The book is based on Axis Beta-3.
>         </COMMENTS>
>     </BOOK>
>     <BOOK>
>         <TITLE>Building Web Services with Java: Making Sense of XML, SOAP,
WSDL and UDDI</TITLE>
>         <AUTHORS>
>             <AUTHOR>Steve Graham</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Simeon Simeonov</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Toufic Boubez</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Glen Daniels</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Doug Davis</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Yuichi Nakamura</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Ryo Neyama</AUTHOR>
>         </AUTHORS>
>         <PUBLISHER>SAMS</PUBLISHER>
>         <PUBLISH-ID>ISBN 672321815</PUBLISH-ID>
>         <FEATURES>
>             <FEATURE NAME="Apache-Axis" />
>         </FEATURES>
>         <PUBLISHED>December-2001</PUBLISHED>
>         <COMMENTS>
>             Covering very early versions of Axis along with other aspects
of Web Service technologies. One of the authors, Glen Daniels, is an Axis
committer and active contributor, so the quality of the Axis coverage is
high. Good explanations of SOAP, UDDI, and the like.
>         </COMMENTS>
>     </BOOK>
>     <BOOK>
>         <TITLE>Building XML Web Services for the Microsoft .NET
Platform</TITLE>
>         <AUTHORS>
>             <AUTHOR>Scott Short</AUTHOR>
>         </AUTHORS>          <PUBLISHER>Microsoft Press</PUBLISHER>
>         <PUBLISH-ID>ISBN 0735614067</PUBLISH-ID>
>         <FEATURES>
>             <FEATURE NAME="MS-WebServices" />
>             <FEATURE NAME="Security" PAGE-COUNT="25" />
>             <FEATURE NAME="UDDI" PAGE-COUNT="32" />
>             <FEATURE NAME="XML-Schema" PAGE-COUNT="36" />
>             <FEATURE NAME="WSDL" PAGE-COUNT="30" />
>         </FEATURES>
>         <PUBLISHED>February-2002</PUBLISHED>
>         <COMMENTS>
>         </COMMENTS>
>     </BOOK>
>     <BOOK>
>         <TITLE>Java and SOAP</TITLE>
>         <AUTHORS>
>             <AUTHOR>Robert Englander</AUTHOR>
>         </AUTHORS>
>         <PUBLISHER>O'Reilly</PUBLISHER>
>         <PUBLISH-ID>ISBN 0596001754</PUBLISH-ID>
>         <FEATURES>
>             <FEATURE NAME="Apache-SOAP" />
>         </FEATURES>
>         <PUBLISHED>May-2002</PUBLISHED>
>         <COMMENTS>
>         </COMMENTS>
>     </BOOK>
>     <BOOK>
>         <TITLE>Java Development with Ant</TITLE>
>         <AUTHORS>
>             <AUTHOR>Erik Hatcher</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Steve Loughran</AUTHOR>
>         </AUTHORS>
>         <PUBLISHER>Manning</PUBLISHER>
>         <PUBLISH-ID>ISBN 1930110588</PUBLISH-ID>
>         <FEATURES>
>             <FEATURE NAME="Apache-Axis" VERSION="Beta-2" />
>         </FEATURES>
>         <PUBLISHED>August-2002</PUBLISHED>
>         <COMMENTS>
>             A book on Ant development which covers Web Service development
with Axis, along with other topics relevant to Java developers using Ant.
The Web Service chapter, chapter 15, is free to download, and was the
birthplace of happyaxis.jar. The book is based on Axis Beta-2; the web site
contains updated documentation where appropriate.
>         </COMMENTS>
>     </BOOK>
>     <BOOK>
>         <TITLE>Java Web Services</TITLE>
>         <AUTHORS>
>             <AUTHOR>Dave Chappell</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Tyler Jewell </AUTHOR>
>         </AUTHORS>
>         <PUBLISHER>O'Reilly</PUBLISHER>
>         <PUBLISH-ID>ISBN 0596002696</PUBLISH-ID>
>         <FEATURES>
>         </FEATURES>
>         <PUBLISHED>March-2002</PUBLISHED>
>         <COMMENTS>
>         </COMMENTS>
>     </BOOK>
>     <BOOK>
>         <TITLE>Java Web Services in a Nutshell</TITLE>
>         <AUTHORS>
>             <AUTHOR>Kim Topley</AUTHOR>
>         </AUTHORS>
>         <PUBLISHER>O'Reilly</PUBLISHER>
>         <PUBLISH-ID>ISBN 0596003994</PUBLISH-ID>
>         <FEATURES>
>             <FEATURE NAME="SUN-JAX-RPC" />
>             <FEATURE NAME="SUN-SAAJ" />
>             <FEATURE NAME="SUN-JAXM" />
>             <FEATURE NAME="SUN-JAXR" />
>             <FEATURE NAME="SUN-JWSDP" VERSION="1.1" />
>             <FEATURE NAME="WSDL" />
>             <FEATURE NAME="UDDI" />
>         </FEATURES>
>         <PUBLISHED>June-2003</PUBLISHED>
>         <COMMENTS>
>         </COMMENTS>
>     </BOOK>
>     <BOOK>
>         <TITLE>J2EE Security for Servlets, EJBs, and Web Services</TITLE>
>         <AUTHORS>
>             <AUTHOR>Pankaj Kumar</AUTHOR>
>         </AUTHORS>
>         <PUBLISHER>Prentice Hall PTR</PUBLISHER>
>         <PUBLISH-ID>ISBN 0131402641</PUBLISH-ID>
>         <FEATURES>
>             <FEATURE NAME="Apache-Axis" VERSION="1.1RC1" />
>             <FEATURE NAME="Security" PAGE-COUNT="150" />
>         </FEATURES>
>         <PUBLISHED>August-2003</PUBLISHED>
>         <COMMENTS>
>             A book on using Java security APIs, tools and mechanisms for
building secure enterprise applications. The chapter on Web Services
Security uses Axis-1.1RC1 for illustrations. Besides Web Services, it covers
security aspects of Java RMI, Servlet and JSP based Web Applications and
EJBs.
> [...]
>         <PUBLISHED>February-2003</PUBLISHED>
>         <COMMENTS>
>         </COMMENTS>
>     </BOOK>
>     <BOOK>
>         <TITLE>Programming Web Services with SOAP</TITLE>
>         <AUTHORS>
>             <AUTHOR>James Snell</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Doug Tidwell</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Pavel KulchenkoPavel Kulchenko  </AUTHOR>
>         </AUTHORS>
>         <PUBLISHER>O'Reilly</PUBLISHER>
>         <PUBLISH-ID></PUBLISH-ID>
>         <FEATURES>
>             <FEATURE NAME="Apache-SOAP" VERSION="2.2" />
>             <FEATURE NAME="MS-WebServices" />
>             <FEATURE NAME="UDDI" PAGE-COUNT="20" />
>             <FEATURE NAME="XML-Schema" PAGE-COUNT="6" />
>         </FEATURES>
>         <PUBLISHED>December-2001</PUBLISHED>
>         <COMMENTS>
>         </COMMENTS>
>     </BOOK>
>     <BOOK>
>         <TITLE>Programming Web Services with XML-RPC</TITLE>
>         <AUTHORS>
>             <AUTHOR>Simon St. Laurent</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Edd Dumbill</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Joe Johnston </AUTHOR>
>         </AUTHORS>
>         <PUBLISHER>O'Reilly</PUBLISHER>
>         <PUBLISH-ID>ISBN 0596001193</PUBLISH-ID>
>         <FEATURES>
>             <FEATURE NAME="XML-RPC" />
>         </FEATURES>
>         <PUBLISHED>June-2001</PUBLISHED>
>         <COMMENTS>
>         </COMMENTS>
>     </BOOK>
>     <BOOK>
>         <TITLE>Professional XML Schemas</TITLE>
>         <AUTHORS>
>             <AUTHOR>Jon Duckett</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Nik Ozu</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Kevin Williams</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Stephen Mohr</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Kurt Cagle</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Oliver Griffin</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Francis Norton</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Ian Stokes-Rees</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Jeni Tennison </AUTHOR>
>         </AUTHORS>
>         <PUBLISHER>Wrox</PUBLISHER>
>         <PUBLISH-ID>ISBN B0000B0T11</PUBLISH-ID>
>         <FEATURES>
>             <FEATURE NAME="XML-Schema" />
>         </FEATURES>
>         <PUBLISHED>July-2001</PUBLISHED>
>         <COMMENTS>
>         </COMMENTS>
>     </BOOK>
>     <BOOK>
>         <TITLE>Teach Yourself Web Services in 24 Hours</TITLE>
>         <AUTHORS>
>             <AUTHOR>Stephen Potts</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Mike Kopack</AUTHOR>
>         </AUTHORS>
>         <PUBLISHER>SAMS</PUBLISHER>
>         <PUBLISH-ID>ISBN 0672325152</PUBLISH-ID>
>         <FEATURES>
>             <FEATURE NAME="Apache-Axis" />
>             <FEATURE NAME="MS-WebServices" />
>         </FEATURES>
>         <PUBLISHED>May-2003</PUBLISHED>
>         <COMMENTS>
>             I was pleasantly surprised by this book, although light on
detail it gives a very good overview.  Discusses how to implement Web
Service projects with Axis, .Net, and other tools.
>         </COMMENTS>
>     </BOOK>
>     <BOOK>
>         <TITLE>XML Schema</TITLE>
>         <AUTHORS>
>             <AUTHOR>Eric Van Der Vlist</AUTHOR>
>         </AUTHORS>
>         <PUBLISHER>O'Reilly</PUBLISHER>
>         <PUBLISH-ID>ISBN 0596002521</PUBLISH-ID>
>         <FEATURES>
>             <FEATURE NAME="XML-Schema" />
>         </FEATURES>
>         <PUBLISHED>June-2002</PUBLISHED>
>         <COMMENTS>
>         </COMMENTS>
>     </BOOK>
>     <BOOK>
>         <TITLE>XML Schema Essentials</TITLE>
>         <AUTHORS>
>             <AUTHOR>R. Allen Wyke</AUTHOR>
>             <AUTHOR>Andrew Watt</AUTHOR>
>         </AUTHORS>
>         <PUBLISHER>Wiley</PUBLISHER>
>         <PUBLISH-ID>ISBN 0471412597</PUBLISH-ID>
>         <FEATURES>
>             <FEATURE NAME="XML-Schema" />
>         </FEATURES>
>         <PUBLISHED>June-2003</PUBLISHED>
>         <COMMENTS>
>         </COMMENTS>
>     </BOOK>
>     <BOOK>
>         <TITLE>Web Services Essentials</TITLE>
>         <AUTHORS>
>             <AUTHOR>Ethan Cerami</AUTHOR>
>         </AUTHORS>
>         <PUBLISHER>O'Reilly</PUBLISHER>
>         <PUBLISH-ID>ISBN 0596002246</PUBLISH-ID>
>         <FEATURES>
>         </FEATURES>
>         <PUBLISHED>February-2002</PUBLISHED>
>         <COMMENTS>
>         </COMMENTS>
>     </BOOK>
>     <BOOK>
>         <TITLE>Web Services Patterns: Java Edition</TITLE>
>         <AUTHORS>
>             <AUTHOR>Paul B. Monday</AUTHOR>
>         </AUTHORS>
>         <PUBLISHER>APress</PUBLISHER>
>         <PUBLISH-ID>ISBN 1590590848</PUBLISH-ID>
>         <FEATURES>
>             <FEATURE NAME="Apache-Axis" Version="1.0" />
>         </FEATURES>
>         <PUBLISHED>April-2003</PUBLISHED>
>         <COMMENTS>
>         </COMMENTS>
>     </BOOK>
>     <BOOK>
>         <TITLE>Web Services: A Manager's Guide</TITLE>
>         <AUTHORS>
>             <AUTHOR>Anne Thomas Manes</AUTHOR>
>         </AUTHORS>
>         <PUBLISHER>Addison-Wesley</PUBLISHER>
>         <PUBLISH-ID>ISBN 0321185773</PUBLISH-ID>
>         <FEATURES>
>             <FEATURE NAME="Apache-Axis" />
>         </FEATURES>
>         <PUBLISHED>June-2003</PUBLISHED>
>         <COMMENTS>
>            Not a book for geeks, but talks how Web Services has been put
to use.  Anne is a frequent and valuable contributor to the Axis lists.

Re: Web Service Book List

Posted by Stephen Gordon <st...@student.usyd.edu.au>.

RE: Web Service Book List

Re: Web Service Book List