Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2010/05/17 17:54:55 UTC

SprignSource plans for outreach

I wanted to give everyone here a heads up that SpringSource is looking
at some form of outreach to get some university students involved in the
Apache Tomcat project. The exact details are TBD but is likely to be
some form of pay per bug fix scheme starting in this autumn combined
with a summer internship next summer (2011). I will be managing this
scheme for SpringSource.

SpringSource's primary motivation is recruitment (after all, an
internship makes a very good 8-12 week long job interview) but this
scheme should also bring benefits to the ASF in terms of additional
resources looking at Tomcat bugs / enhancements.

The scheme will be small (2-3 students) to start with but may increase
in size if deemed successful.

I don't have much in the way of plans for what the students will work on
at this stage. For the bug fixing, I plan to pick bugs to ask the
students to work on based on what is open at the time and what I think
needs fixing first. For the summer internships, I have no plans at
present. I'll probably be soliciting ideas Feb/Mar time next year.

All the work will be done on the lists, in bugzilla etc with any patches
treated the same way as any other bug (although I might look at a patch
from a student little quicker than normal). There will be some stuff
off-list but I intend to limit that to the administrative side of the
scheme (sorting out paperworks, payments etc) with any technical
discussions being on the dev list. Essnetially, the same way as GSoC is
managed at the moment.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Mark