Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by saravanan ragothman <sa...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/24 20:30:14 UTC

Ragarding the advantages of Apache tomcat server

   This is Saran doing good as an admin, and I have few questions about the
Apache Tomcat Server after reading the documentation. In my workplace we are
using the Tomcat server version 5.0.28 for the web applications(for reports
and scorecards especially) but have plans to move to Oracle application
server 10g in future. but I still insist on tomcat server. Can you tell me
some advantages(and disadvantages, if any) of tomcat server over the oracle
application server 10g, so that we can re-analyse the situation(if there are
more advantages that can be considerable than we stay with Tomcat server).
Since Oracle application server 10g is advertised and marketed better than
Apache Tomcat server, we cannot get into the other side,that is, not getting
the exact detailed advantages of apache tomcat server.

It will be great if you take concerns over the number of users using the
appplication and security of the user and application.

Thanks a lot!
Saran

Re: Ragarding the advantages of Apache tomcat server

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On 4/24/07, Ajand Saadat <aj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> some disadvantages os oracle AS
> 1) oracle implementation of JDK i think

No, you can run OC4J with a Sun JDK, but...

> 2) very heavy on your resource specially at startup

..that's for sure. I consulted a while last year at a company that was
using OC4J (9.0.4.1 IIRC) and it took *forever* to start up; minutes
compared to Tomcat's seconds. And configuration was so clunky
and convoluted, at least compared to Tomcat. This organization had
tried to upgrade to 10.x before and had such problems with it they
just gave up, which left them stuck on the 2.3 servlet spec.

Before I left they totally changed their main portal application and no
longer needed (their single!) EJB, so accepted my recommendation
to move to a clustered Tomcat environment. As already pointed out,
there's a substantial saving when you need multiple licenses to cover
that kind of config.

Better performance for less -- sounds like a slogan :-)

FWIW,

Re: Ragarding the advantages of Apache tomcat server

Posted by Ajand Saadat <aj...@gmail.com>.
some advantages in tomcat:
1)It is an open source AS
2)it is a light weight AS (no EJB)
3)it is easily configured with apache and IIS
4)very stable on unix like systems
5)good documentation online
6)java sun complaint
7)doesn't require alot of memory at startup
some disadvantages os oracle AS
1) oracle implementation of JDK i think
2) very heavy on your resource specially at startup
3)oracle dependant

hope that helps
AJ

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
markw@mohawksoft.com wrote:

>>I know next to nothing about Oracle app server, but price would be a big
>>difference, since you don't have to pay for Tomcat.
>>

>I really can't see any clear general advantage to Oracle's app server. The
>Only clear advantage I can see is the integration with Oracle if you are
>using Oracle.

Isn't the Oracle app server a full-blown J2EE server, like JBoss?  While
tomcat has only a subset of that functionality as a servlet container.
 From that point of view, there's probably a pretty good chance that
tomcat will have better performance if you don't need all the extra
functionality of the full J2EE spec.

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
It is my understanding that Tomcat is a reference implementation of a
web container, so everything complies to standards. However Oracle
might have its own proprietary extensions to the standards.

Company sometimes decide to switch between servers for various
reasons, during those situations what works on a proprietary extension
will no longer work. In other words the app's portability is reduced.
But, if the proprietary extensions provide considerable advantage then
one might choose that server.

Regards
-Rashmi

Re: Ragarding the advantages of Apache tomcat server

Posted by ma...@mohawksoft.com.

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.