Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Marcus Alanen <ma...@ra.abo.fi> on 2003/08/11 11:06:46 UTC

Can I use cp -l (hard links) on working copies?

Hello everybody,

is it possible to use "cp -l" to create copies of the working copy
using hard links, on a unix filesystem? The benefit would naturally be
space savings on the hard drive. This is naturally assuming an editor
which unlinks before it modifies files.

If not, is it ok to just do a proper copy of the working copy and/or
move it around in the filesystem?

For what it's worth, I'm currently using Subversion 0.20.1.

Thanks for a good product! Mainly we're using it as a
rather simple CVS-replacement, but we're definitely going to explore
its possibilities further.

Marcus

Re: Can I use cp -l (hard links) on working copies?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Marcus Alanen <ma...@ra.abo.fi> writes:

> For what it's worth, I'm currently using Subversion 0.20.1.

This statement scares me;  0.20.1 is nearly six months old.

Hey, all you users out there that are using svn for real work:
*please* keep yourself up-to-date.  Read this FAQ, especially the
warning at the bottom:

   http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#stable

Re: Can I use cp -l (hard links) on working copies?

Posted by Sindbad the Seafarer <si...@gmx.net>.
Concerning Re: Can I use cp -l (hard links) on
cmpilato@collab.net wrote on 11 Aug 2003, 9:32, at least in part:

> Marcus Alanen <ma...@ra.abo.fi> writes:
>
> > If not, is it ok to just do a proper copy of the working copy and/or
> > move it around in the filesystem?
>
> This should be fine.

However, you better take care that *before* copying you did an
update *and* commit, otherwise you might end with two or more
working copies all with the same scheduled adds, deletes,
modifies. The latter should not make much trouble, but the other
may lead to trouble.

Jan Hendrik
---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

     Public servants say, always with the best of intentions,
     'What greater service we could render
     if only we had a little more money and a little more power.'
     But the truth is that outside of its legitimate function,
     government does nothing as well or as economically as the private sector.
                -- Ronald Reagan, October 27, 1964

---------------------------------------
Mailed with Pegasus Mail 3.12c (32bit).
Never heard of it?
Easy to use, full featured - and freely available.
And *no* automatic virus activation and spreading.
Take a look at http://www.pmail.com
Give it a try - and you'll never miss anything else.

Re: Can I use cp -l (hard links) on working copies?

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.
On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 09:32:47AM -0500, cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> Marcus Alanen <ma...@ra.abo.fi> writes:
>
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > is it possible to use "cp -l" to create copies of the working copy
> > using hard links, on a unix filesystem? The benefit would naturally be
> > space savings on the hard drive. This is naturally assuming an editor
> > which unlinks before it modifies files.
>
> You know, I have no idea.

Please take this with a grain of salt, since I am not one of the
Subversion developers, but I think this should work just fine.
Subversion seems to work on temp files, which it then uses to replace
the original file, if any.  i.e. it breaks the links before modifying
things.

> > If not, is it ok to just do a proper copy of the working copy and/or
> > move it around in the filesystem?
>
> This should be fine.

This was a design goal AFAIK.  You can move it to a different machine
too, not just another place on the same filesystem :)  (Although if you
move a working copy between Windows and Unix and have svn:eol-style set
to native on any files, I think things will break.)

--
Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>

Re: Can I use cp -l (hard links) on working copies?

Posted by cm...@collab.net.