Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Bronco Fan <br...@yahoo.com> on 2002/05/14 21:51:22 UTC

ClassCastException on parsed file

I am trying to 'parse' a template file to no avail.
The error spit out by Velocity is:

Tue May 14 14:26:46 CDT 2002  [error] #parse() : arg =
header.inc.html.  Exception :
java.lang.ClassCastException:
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ContentResource

Any one have any ideas?

Ian

[reprise] velocimacro.context.localscope crashes

Posted by ro...@yahoo.com.
hi geir,

did you find anything about this velocimacro-crash?

here once again the possibly shortest jython script
that creates this error

>>> from java.util import Properties
>>> from java.lang import Boolean
>>> from org.apache.velocity.app import Velocity
>>>
>>> props = Properties()
>>> props.put("velocimacro.context.localscope", Boolean.TRUE)
>>>
>>> Velocity.init(props)
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<console>", line 1, in ?
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:375)
        at
org.apache.commons.collections.ExtendedProperties.addPropertyDirect(Extended
Properties.java:683)
        at
org.apache.commons.collections.ExtendedProperties.addProperty(ExtendedProper
ties.java:657)
        at
org.apache.commons.collections.ExtendedProperties.setProperty(ExtendedProper
ties.java:746)
        at
org.apache.commons.collections.ExtendedProperties.convertProperties(Extended
Properties.java:1872)
        at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.init(RuntimeInstance.java:440)
        at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeSingleton.init(RuntimeSingleton.java:260)
        at org.apache.velocity.app.Velocity.init(Velocity.java:149)
        at
org.python.core.PyReflectedFunction.__call__(PyReflectedFunction.java)
        at
org.python.core.PyReflectedFunction.__call__(PyReflectedFunction.java)
        at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(PyObject.java)
        at org.python.core.PyObject.invoke(PyObject.java)
        at org.python.pycode._pyx8.f$0(<console>:1)
        at org.python.pycode._pyx8.call_function(<console>)
        at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(PyTableCode.java)
        at org.python.core.PyCode.call(PyCode.java)
        at org.python.core.Py.runCode(Py.java)
        at org.python.core.Py.exec(Py.java)
        at org.python.util.PythonInterpreter.exec(PythonInterpreter.java)
        at
org.python.util.InteractiveInterpreter.runcode(InteractiveInterpreter.java)
        at
org.python.util.InteractiveInterpreter.runsource(InteractiveInterpreter.java
)
        at
org.python.util.InteractiveInterpreter.runsource(InteractiveInterpreter.java
)
        at org.python.util.InteractiveConsole.push(InteractiveConsole.java)
        at
org.python.util.InteractiveConsole.interact(InteractiveConsole.java)
        at org.python.util.jython.main(jython.java)

java.lang.NullPointerException: java.lang.NullPointerException

any ideas?

tia

ciao robertj
Robert Kuzelj
Gaissacherstrasse 7           email: robert_kuzelj@yahoo.com
81371 Muenchen                tel:   0177/5302230

the trinity of desirables of (software) architecture:
Firmitas, Utilitas, Venustas (marcus vitruvius 20 BC)
strength, utility, beauty

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
wrote:

> hi,
>
> am trying to set "local" vars in velocity
> but when doing so by setting the properties
> of the context-object. velocity crashes.
> any ideas.
>
> heres the resulting trace
>>>>
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>       at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:375)
>       at
> org.apache.commons.collections.ExtendedProperties.addPropertyDirect(Extended
> Properties.java:683)
>       at
> org.apache.commons.collections.ExtendedProperties.addProperty(ExtendedProper
> ties.java:657)
>       at
> org.apache.commons.collections.ExtendedProperties.setProperty(ExtendedProper
> ties.java:746)
>       at
> org.apache.commons.collections.ExtendedProperties.convertProperties(Extended
> Properties.java:1872)

This is interesting.  It's crashing in java.util.Hashtable??  What does
'getMacros()' return?

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.
geirm@adeptra.com
+1-203-247-1713

velocimacro.context.localscope crashes

Posted by ro...@yahoo.com.
hi,

am trying to set "local" vars in velocity
but when doing so by setting the properties
of the context-object. velocity crashes.
any ideas.

heres the resulting trace

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:375)
        at
org.apache.commons.collections.ExtendedProperties.addPropertyDirect(Extended
Properties.java:683)
        at
org.apache.commons.collections.ExtendedProperties.addProperty(ExtendedProper
ties.java:657)
        at
org.apache.commons.collections.ExtendedProperties.setProperty(ExtendedProper
ties.java:746)
        at
org.apache.commons.collections.ExtendedProperties.convertProperties(Extended
Properties.java:1872)
        at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.init(RuntimeInstance.java:440)
        at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeSingleton.init(RuntimeSingleton.java:260)
        at org.apache.velocity.app.Velocity.init(Velocity.java:149)

and thats the java-soruce:

    private Properties getProperties()
    {
        Properties props = new Properties();
        props.put("file.resource.loader.path",
"c:/data/develop/typelib/jemitter");
        props.put("velocimacro.library", getMacros());
        props.put("velocimacro.context.localscope", Boolean.TRUE);
        //LOGGER.log(Level.INFO, getMacros());
        return props;
    }

      Properties props = getProperties();
      Velocity.init(props);

Re: ClassCastException on parsed file

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 5/16/02 2:58 PM, "Bronco Fan" <br...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com> wrote:
>> On 5/14/02 4:40 PM, "Bronco Fan"
>>

>>> --- "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>

>>> That's it. The servlet still executes just fine.
>> The
>>> page is just displayed without the contents of
>>> header.inc.html. The error message I originally
>> sent
>>> is all that is spit out by either tomcat or
>> velocity.
>>>

>> Ok - would you be more comfortable if you sent the
>> code privately to me?  It
>> won't go anywhere else...
>
> On a hunch, I upgraded my tomcat server from 3.2.4 to
> 3.3.1 and that fixed the problem. The header file now
> gets parsed as it should. Thanks you for help Geir.
> And hopefully if anyone else has this problem, this
> thread will help.

That's really strange.  I use 3.2.4 here to validate spec 2.1 stuff, and
don't have a problem.  Hm....

Thanks for reporting the success though :)

Posted by Bronco Fan <br...@yahoo.com>.
--- "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com> wrote:
> On 5/14/02 4:40 PM, "Bronco Fan"
>

> > --- "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>
> wrote:
> >> On 5/14/02 4:26 PM, "Bronco Fan"

> >> with
> >>>

> >> Ok - how about a real stack trace then?
> >
> > That's it. The servlet still executes just fine.
> The
> > page is just displayed without the contents of
> > header.inc.html. The error message I originally
> sent
> > is all that is spit out by either tomcat or
> velocity.
> >

> Ok - would you be more comfortable if you sent the
> code privately to me?  It
> won't go anywhere else...

On a hunch, I upgraded my tomcat server from 3.2.4 to
3.3.1 and that fixed the problem. The header file now
gets parsed as it should. Thanks you for help Geir.
And hopefully if anyone else has this problem, this
thread will help.

Thanks again,
Ian

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.

Posted by Bronco Fan <br...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.

Posted by Bronco Fan <br...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 5/14/02 4:04 PM, "Bronco Fan" <br...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Bronco Fan <br...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> --- "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com> wrote:
>>> On 5/14/02 3:51 PM, "Bronco Fan"

>>> avail.

>>> arg =
>>>>

>> org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ContentResource
>>>>

>>> Is this code you wrote yourself, or just doing
>>> something conventional?
>>
>> I wrote it myself.
>>
>> Ian
>
> I guees some version numbers would be in order.
>
> Tomcat 3.2.4
> Velocity 1.2
>
> I can do an #include on the file, no problems. As soon
> as I change it to #parse it bombs. I even took out all
> VTL and it still bombed.
>
> Thanks for replying so fast:)

Can we see the code?

Posted by Bronco Fan <br...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Bronco Fan <br...@yahoo.com>.
--- "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com> wrote:
> On 5/14/02 3:51 PM, "Bronco Fan"
>
> > I am trying to 'parse' a template file to no
> avail.
> > The error spit out by Velocity is:
> >
> > Tue May 14 14:26:46 CDT 2002  [error] #parse() :
> arg =
> > header.inc.html.  Exception :
> > java.lang.ClassCastException:
> >
> org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ContentResource
> >

> Is this code you wrote yourself, or just doing
> something conventional?

I wrote it myself.

Ian

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.