Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Geoff Longman <gl...@intelligentworks.com> on 2003/03/02 15:58:16 UTC

Finally, an approach to bring Spindle up to 2.4

Been spending some time on parsing and that's still valid stuff, but...

I have been avoiding the funky new way developers can place things in
Tapestry 2.4, bad me.

So, I have decided to approach this bottom up. What'll happen is that a new
Eclipse builder for Tapestry Projects
will be created. Won't be too useful in its initial form as that'll be the
testbed for finding all the locations for pages, templates and
then parsing the found stuff into a form Spindle can use.

The step after that will be somewhat more useful. A new plugin that'll form
the base for the New Spindle.
This plugin, which I might call SpindleBuilder, will be useful on its own as
a Tapestry project validator (sound familliar MB?).

Use case:

1. create a Java project, put whatever you like in it.
2. Add the Tapestry project flavour to the Java project. This will add the
builder.
If the project is an application and not a library, the tapestry project
flavour will require that the user designate a folder as the approot, and
one as the context root. ( a wizard or something).

3.Create, edit, tapestry artifacts. The builder plugin will incrementally
validate the Tapestry stuff and ignore the rest.

SpindleBuilder won't have any editors or such, as those will be provided by
the new Spindle.

New Spindle will build on this by adding better wizards, the editors and
such.

Geoffrey Longman
Intelligent Works Inc.

Re: Finally, an approach to bring Spindle up to 2.4

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@intelligentworks.com>.
I'm of the mind to keep Spindle separate from any particular plugin that
integrates with servlet engines. The reason is that the are many engines and
several plugins have appeared that integrate (Sysdeo for tomcat is one,
Lomboz is another although I have not used it).

To me, the ideal servlet engine plugin would unobtrusively attach itself to
a project, regardless of its type (as long as its a Java Project of course)
and still be useable. Sysdeo does that quite nicely and Spindle project work
fine with Sysdeo.

Now, if the layout of a Spindle/Tapestry project clashes with one or more of
those plugins (file layout might be an example), that something we can work
on.

Otherwise, its losing game trying to keep up with the servlet engine plugin
de jour.

Geoff
Posted by Tarun Ramakrishna Elankath <ta...@webkadai.com>.
That would be sure terrific! :-)