Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com> on 2004/01/15 09:33:05 UTC

[math] "Rolling" stats without storage

The article below reminded me that by using smoothing techniques you can
achieve the effect of rolling means using clever updating formulas
without storing any data.  The authors also introduce a technique for
generating "time discounted" kernel density estimates recursively as
well. This is cool.  We may want to implement something like this (post 0.1)

E. J. Wegman and D.J. Marchette, "On Some Techniques for Streaming Data:
A Case Study of Internet Packet Headers" Journal of Computational and
Graphical Statistics,  vol. 12, no. 4, Dec. 2003

The application is to intrusion detection.

Unfortunately, this is only available in dead tree format today.  :-(
It will eventually be available for $ from the ASA here
<http://www.catchword.com/asa/titles.htm>.

Phil