Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steve Ruby <st...@rubysolutions.com> on 2000/10/06 17:36:22 UTC

Re: Enviroment or Security Difference between running Tomcat normal or as a service w\ winnt and win2k?

"Lull, Joe" wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I have deployed a servlet that calls a method in an EJB.  The servlet works
> fine as long as Tomcat is started from the command line but bombs out after
> doing context.lookup when Tomcat is running as a service.  What differences
> are there between running as a service or running from the command line that
> could be causing this to fail?
>
> Thanks

When running from the command line tomcat is subject to the envronment
of the user who launched it.. When running as a service it gets
environment
from the user specified as the "owner" (see services control pannel).

Re: Enviroment or Security Difference between running Tomcat normal or as a service w\ winnt and win2k?

Posted by Steve Ruby <st...@rubysolutions.com>.
Steve Ruby wrote:

> "Lull, Joe" wrote:
> >
> > Greetings:
> >
> > I have deployed a servlet that calls a method in an EJB.  The servlet works
> > fine as long as Tomcat is started from the command line but bombs out after
> > doing context.lookup when Tomcat is running as a service.  What differences
> > are there between running as a service or running from the command line that
> > could be causing this to fail?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> When running from the command line tomcat is subject to the envronment
> of the user who launched it.. When running as a service it gets
> environment
> from the user specified as the "owner" (see services control pannel).

CLASSPATH is set from the users environment when starting fromt he
command
line, it is set from wrapper.properties (wrapper.class_path) when
starting
as a service.

Posted by gduvak <gd...@net-gate.com>.