Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Joan Jesús Pujol Espinar <lu...@yahoo.com> on 2001/09/03 00:34:31 UTC

IDOM + Error managing question

Hi,

I'm new to Xerces C++, first of all I don't know if this is the correct list to send my question, but I can't find detailed information about the purpose of this list.

Two questions:

* I readed about the 2 Xerxes interfices to DOM: DOM and IDOM, and as a C++ programer i feel more confortable with the IDOM interfice, and also I get a more eficience one.
Documentation says that IDOM is a experimental one, and that is subject to changes.
My question is: It is very experimental, and considerable changes are expected? Or is practically established, and only minor changes are expected?

*I have examining the IDOMPrint sample code and I don't understand very well the error managing system.

When the example creates the parser it associates a ErrorHandler. And I parse a invalid document with the sample I get called the corresponent ErrorHandler method.

But, also when the parse method is called, three exceptions are catched. Why, and when this exceptions can be raised if first the ErrorHandler is called?
If I associate a ErrorHandler routines can I safely no catch the exceptions?

And another question,  There are some introductory documentation or FAQ to the Xerxes C++?
(Excluding the reference and small introductory included with the official Xerces distribution)

Bye,

PD: Excusme for my litle level of english

Re: IDOM + Error managing question

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Joan Jesús Pujol Espinar" <lu...@yahoo.com> writes:

> * I readed about the 2 Xerxes interfices to DOM: DOM and IDOM, and
>   as a C++ programer i feel more confortable with the IDOM
>   interfice, and also I get a more eficience one.
> Documentation says that IDOM is a experimental one, and that is
> subject to changes.  My question is: It is very experimental, and
> considerable changes are expected? Or is practically established,
> and only minor changes are expected?

It is new as of 1.5.0, so expect it to change. The DOM implementation
had serious efficiency problems, IDOM is meant to replace it as soon
as it becomes stable. There are still some outstanding bugs against IDOM.

> *I have examining the IDOMPrint sample code and I don't understand
> very well the error managing system.
>
> When the example creates the parser it associates a
> ErrorHandler. And I parse a invalid document with the sample I get
> called the corresponent ErrorHandler method.
>
> But, also when the parse method is called, three exceptions are
> catched. Why, and when this exceptions can be raised if first the
> ErrorHandler is called?
> If I associate a ErrorHandler routines can I safely no catch the
> exceptions?

The ErrorHandler interface was introduced by SAX (I believe). Xerces
DOM and IDOM also allow you to register an ErrorHandler. During parse
it will catch any parse exceptions (not IDOM_DOMExceptions or
XMLExceptions which occurr outside the parsing itself).

> And another question,  There are some introductory documentation or
> FAQ to the Xerxes C++?
> (Excluding the reference and small introductory included with the
> official Xerces distribution)

There's a lot on the WWW site:

   http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/

However, there isn't much in the way of material for people not
familiar with DOM. To understand that you're going to have to find a
DOM tutorial on the WWW, or purchase a book.