Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rajesh Battala <ra...@citrix.com> on 2013/10/23 14:10:23 UTC

Regarding vhd-util binary

Hi All,

I had downloaded the vhd-util from http://download.cloud.com.s3.amazonaws.com/tools/vhd-util .
I have an vhd file in the NFS share. I had mounted in my mgmt. server and tried vhd-util read -p -n "path of file" it works.
But the same file when present in CIFS share, mounted on my mgmt. server with (rw) vhd-util  is failing to read/dump the headers.

Is vhd-util binary has limitation reading file from CIFS.? Or we need to mount the CIFS share with any extra params?

Thanks
Rajesh Battala

RE: Regarding vhd-util binary

Posted by Donal Lafferty <do...@citrix.com>.
I have seen problems with an out of date vhd-util, e.g. http://dlafferty.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/using-cloudstacks-log-files-xenserver.html  You could check that you are using the version of vhd-util you downloaded using "which vhd-util".

However, why don't you first rule out CIFS as the problem?  Put the image on local storage, and try the command again.

DL

Posted by Rajesh Battala <ra...@citrix.com>.
Hi Donal,
I had mounted the cifs with rw permission. I was able to touch and write data to file and read it.
But when used vhd-util to query/read the the vhd files present on cifs am getting error.

root@rajesh-HVM-domU:~/testvhd# /root/vhd-util read -p -n /root/testvhd/template/tmpl/1/9/4382fd85-7259-4392-a9a9-4990718bd48f.vhd
Failed to open /root/testvhd/template/tmpl/1/9/4382fd85-7259-4392-a9a9-4990718bd48f.vhd: -22

/root/testvhd/template/tmpl/1/9/4382fd85-7259-4392-a9a9-4990718bd48f.vhd appears invalid; dumping headers

Thanks
Rajesh Battala

Posted by Donal Lafferty <do...@citrix.com>.