Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mike Spreitzer <ms...@us.ibm.com> on 2000/12/12 17:05:45 UTC

How to use Tomcat 3.2 + SSL + non-Sun SSL provider?

I've downloaded Tomcat 3.2, and am using IBM's JDK 1.3 on an AIX 4.3.3
machine.  I want to use Tomcat 3.2 + SSL, but with an SSL provider other
than Sun's.  Specifically, IBM's (com.ibm.crypto.provider.IBMJCE).  I have
downloaded and installed IBM's JSSE and its prerequisites, but I see that
org.apache.tomcat.net.SSLSocketFactory is hard-coded to use
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider.  So it looks like I have to edit
and rebuild (or at least clone and rename/repackage) all or this part of
Tomcat.  Am I off track yet?  I haven't noticed anything in the
instructions about doing this.  In particular, although the "binary"
distributions of Tomcat seem to include source, the 3.2 binary
distribution does not (as far as I can tell) include any instructions on
how to rebuild.  I see it does include conf/build.xml; am I to just use
Ant and plunge in?

Thanks,
Mike

PS: I'll be away from my mail for a while, so please CC your answers to
the list so that colleagues can benefit.  Thanks again.