Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2010/04/10 02:58:58 UTC

Cutting another maven-compiler-plugin release to set the default source/target to 1.5

The defaults are currently set in the plexus-compiler-javac component (to source=1.3 and target=1.1) and not in the maven-compiler-plugin. I would just like to set the default in the AbstractCompilerMojo and be done with it. This way when we release 3.0-beta-1 the default source/target will be 1.5. I'll also bump the locked down version of the maven-compiler-plugin I cut accordingly.

If I don't hear anything I'll assume that's fine and cut it.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: Cutting another maven-compiler-plugin release to set the default source/target to 1.5

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.
On Apr 9, 2010, at 10:05 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> This is the issue to update when you do:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MCOMPILER-80
>
> I agree it should be done, though for your purposes it might be more expedient to put the configuration in the 3.0 super POM?

I think this would generally more useful in the plugin. I'm sure folks using 2.x want this as well and we can cut a release of that soon to flip the default version in the POM. It's going to be 3 days anyway for beta-1 so it's not a big deal.

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Benjamin Bentmann <
benjamin.bentmann@udo.edu> wrote:

> Brett Porter wrote:
>
>  [...] though for your purposes it might be more expedient to put the
>> configuration in the 3.0 super POM?
>>

> -1, it's unlucky when builds depend on the version of Maven being used,
> this should not be be the norm. Ideally, plugin behavior should only be a
> function of the plugin version and not also the Maven version.

I agree with benjamin here. Adittionally to what has been said,
configuration in maven superpom makes IDE embedded resolution a pain.

Milos

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.