Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu> on 2013/01/08 23:19:24 UTC

[VOTE] Apache cTAKES 3.0.0-incubating RC4 release

Hi,

This is a call for a vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache cTAKES 3.0.0-incubating. This will be our first release.

A vote was held on the developer mailing list and passed with 5 +1s:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ctakes-dev/201212.mbox/%3c924DE05C19409B438EB81DE683A942D9259943@CHEXMBX1A.CHBOSTON.ORG%3e

We need an additional IPMC vote.

For more detailed information on the changes/release notes, please visit:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313621&version=12322969

The release was made using the cTAKES release process documented here: http://incubator.apache.org/ctakes/ctakes-release-guide.html

The candidate is available at:

http://people.apache.org/~chenpei/ctakes-3.0.0-incubating/rc4/target/apache-ctakes-3.0.0-incubating-bin.tar.gz

The tag to be voted on:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ctakes/tags/ctakes-3.0.0-incubating-rc4/

The MD5 checksum of the tarball can be found at:

http://people.apache.org/~chenpei/ctakes-3.0.0-incubating/rc4/target/apache-ctakes-3.0.0-incubating-bin.tar.gz.md5

The signature of the tarball can be found at:

http://people.apache.org/~chenpei/ctakes-3.0.0-incubating/rc4/target/apache-ctakes-3.0.0-incubating-bin.tar.gz.asc

Apache cTAKES' KEYS file, containing the PGP keys used to sign the release:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ctakes/tags/ctakes-3.0.0-incubating-rc4/KEYS

Please vote on releasing these packages as Apache cTAKES 3.0.0-incubating. The vote is open for at least the next 72 hours.

Only votes from Incubator PMC are binding, but folks are welcome to check the release candidate and voice their approval or disapproval. The vote passes if at least three binding +1 votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release the packages as Apache cTAKES 3.0.0-incubating

[ ] -1 Do not release the packages because...

Thanks!

Pei

P.S. Here is my +1.

RE: [VOTE] Apache cTAKES 3.0.0-incubating RC4 release

Posted by "Masanz, James J." <Ma...@mayo.edu>.
I verified the DISCLAIMER is in the root of the apache-ctakes-3.0.0-incubating-bin.zip artifact.
It's also in the apache-ctakes-3.0.0-incubating-src.zip artifact (under the ctakes-distribution/ directory)

-- James

>> This is a call for a vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache cTAKES 3.0.0-incubating. This will be our first release.
>>
>> A vote was held on the developer mailing list and passed with 5 +1s:
>>
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ctakes-dev/201212.mbox/%3c924DE05C19409B438EB81DE683A942D9259943@CHEXMBX1A.CHBOSTON.ORG%3e
>>
>> We need an additional IPMC vote.
>>

>> For more detailed information on the changes/release notes, please visit:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313621&version=12322969
>>

>> The release was made using the cTAKES release process documented here: http://incubator.apache.org/ctakes/ctakes-release-guide.html
>>

>> The candidate is available at:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~chenpei/ctakes-3.0.0-incubating/rc4/target/apache-ctakes-3.0.0-incubating-bin.tar.gz
>>

>> The tag to be voted on:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ctakes/tags/ctakes-3.0.0-incubating-rc4/
>
> NOTICE file still shows 2012 (not critical)
>
> There is no Incubation DISCLAIMER file in the tag
> I assume it is missing from the release artifacts as well.
> The disclaimer is vital.
The DISCLAIMER file should already be included in the release artifacts... It's pulled in from the ctakes-distribution module.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 9 January 2013 13:13, Chen, Pei <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
>> In (almost) all other podlings it is at the top of the SVN tree.
>> IMO it should be present alongside NOTICE and LICENSE so it is obvious to
>> people browsing SVN.
> Thanks for the input.  I already made this change in SVN trunk so it'll automatically be picked up in future release.  And also updated the 2013 copyright.
> Since, maven puts it in correct place in the artifacts during packaging, I presume this won't be a show stopper for the release?

The location of the DISCLAIMER in the tar file looks fine.
Minor issue - the text is all on one line. This makes it quite hard to
read; please fix this for the next release.

However, I have now had a look at the embedded NOTICE file.
This is very long - it contains lots of unnecessary notices.

For example, there is no need to credit OpenNLP or UIMA as these are
covered under the second paragaph.

The NOTICE file must only be used for *required* notices (whereas the
LICENSE file must contain copies of all licences).
Furthermore, the N&L files should only contain entries which relate to
software that is actually included in the archive.
The NOTICE file should be as short as possible (but no shorter).

AFAICT the archive does not include JUnit; there may be other
"missing" references.

The NOTICE file must only contain *required* notices for the enclosing
archive - if the archive does not contain JUnit then the NOTICE file
does not require any attribution. Even software that is included may
not require an entry in the NOTICE file if the license does not
specifically require it.

The N&L files are a vital part of ASF releases, so I think this should
be fixed please.

Posted by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi Sebb,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.