Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Scott Wegner <sc...@apache.org> on 2018/10/26 05:36:26 UTC

Beam Community Metrics

I want to summarize some of the great work done this summer by Mikhail,
Udi, and Huygaa to visualize and track some project/community health
metrics for Beam. Specifically, they've helped to build dashboards for:
* Test suite health (pre-commit speed, post-commit reliability)
* Pull Request health (code review latency, PR load per reviewer)

Check it out here: https://s.apache.org/beam-community-metrics, and please
leave feedback on this thread or under our umbrella JIRA item: BEAM-5862.

There's some new infrastructure behind this which is hosted alongside our
Jenkins resources on Google Cloud. I want to ensure this doesn't become a
burden for the community, so I've written up a maintenance plan here:
https://s.apache.org/beam-community-metrics-infra. That link contains more
details on the metrics pipeline architecture components, the design
discussions which lead to building them, and my proposal for documenting
and monitoring the infrastructure.

There was a ton of discussion [1][2][3] that helped shape the dashboards
we've come up with. There's a whole lot we didn't get to, but the source
code is documented and checked-in [4], and I encourage others in the
community to add to it.

Thanks,
Scott

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b73cc4f0f05f4654eed2250aa95f205e7ab45253d98add0240911031@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E
[2]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3bb4aa777751da2e2d7e22666aa6a2e18ae31891cb09d91718b75e74@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E
[3]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6cc942a34867ce7603392246c518c35410e828e9d2f17fdc547576ea@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E
[4] https://github.com/apache/beam/tree/master/.test-infra/metrics

Got feedback? tinyurl.com/swegner-feedback

Re: Beam Community Metrics

Posted by Mikhail Gryzykhin <mi...@google.com>.
Hi everyone,

Regarding empty list of dashboards: Most likely you're looking at recently
viewed dashboards. Top-left corner has a drop-down menu with full list of
available dashboards. I've added explicit ticket to add landing page.
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-6710>

Regarding hardcoded IP: unfortunately, I didn't manage to figure out proper
process on acquiring of proper domain name in time I had available to
implement metrics site. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Scott added information on metrics at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BEAM/Community+Metrics
I believe that this documentation was located on CWiki since it is
Beam-dev-relevant, not user-relevant information.

Regards,
--Mikhail

Have feedback <http://go/migryz-feedback>?

Re: Beam Community Metrics