Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com> on 2007/04/25 23:58:17 UTC

Calendar Question

I would like to set up a personal calendar for our OFBiz users. It would operate
like most calendaring programs or personal assistants.

I looked around OFBiz but didn't find anything like that. I see communication
events and workeffort events - which come close and could be used, but they seem
to be intended for something else.

Does anyone know of OFBiz services or entities that would be well suited for this?

-Adrian

Re: Calendar Question

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
BJ,

Thank you very much for the reply! I spent most of last night exploring the
entities and services and I finally came to the conclusion that I'll need to
design something from scratch.

-Adrian

Re: Calendar Question

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Calendar Question

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David E. Jones wrote:
> The real point of the OFBiz data model is to fit the needs to many
> different requirements. The best way to go, even if there is
> functionality you don't need, is to base it on what exists and  simplify
> your custom UI as needed. And who knows, maybe in the future  the extra
> structure and functionality might save your bacon.

I agree with you 100%. At the same time, looking into the future I see the need
for calendar event services increasing - especially when the HR component is
built out.

If I come across the need for the additional fields that workeffort contains,
then I can simply relate my "slimmed down" calendar event to workeffort.

Re: Calendar Question

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Apr 26, 2007, at 9:06 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> David,
>
> Thank you very much for the reply! I looked at workeffort again and
> it's too "heavy" for what I have in mind. I see the calendaring
> feature being used a lot and most of the fields in workeffort will
> be unused, so there will be a tremendous amount of wasted storage
> if I go that route.

What do you mean by wasted storage? Do you mean for the empty columns
and such?

In general this isn't an issue for databases. The physical storage
they use generally just leaves out nulled columns. In other words,
it's not like they use a huge fixed width flat file for storing
things or something, so the impact of extra columns that are used in
your scenario is generally minimal, often hardly noticeable.

The real point of the OFBiz data model is to fit the needs to many
different requirements. The best way to go, even if there is
functionality you don't need, is to base it on what exists and
simplify your custom UI as needed. And who knows, maybe in the future
the extra structure and functionality might save your bacon.

-David

Re: Calendar Question

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David,

Thank you very much for the reply! I looked at workeffort again and it's too
"heavy" for what I have in mind. I see the calendaring feature being used a lot
and most of the fields in workeffort will be unused, so there will be a
tremendous amount of wasted storage if I go that route.

I'm leaning toward designing something "lighter" than can be built out by other
applications.

-Adrian

Re: Calendar Question

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.