Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@epimorphics.com> on 2011/03/08 21:04:06 UTC

Jena test suite ; TestOntDocumentManager.testReadFailHandler1

Running the test suite, JUnit is in

testReadFailHandler1 (com.hp.hpl.jena.ontology.impl.TestOntDocumentManager)

for 60-120s then gives a test failure usually (I've seen it once give a
test success as well).

What's happening?

(This is at home, on a NAT'ed network, no proxy)

	Andy

Re: Jena test suite ; TestOntDocumentManager.testReadFailHandler1

Posted by Ian Dickinson <ia...@epimorphics.com>.
Hi Gavin,

On 09/03/11 01:40, Gavin Carothers wrote:
> Can also just be changed to use .invalid per
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2606#section-2
>
>       ".invalid" is intended for use in online construction of domain
>       names that are sure to be invalid and which it is obvious at a
>       glance are invalid.
>
> For example: <http://example.invalid/not/exist>

Good suggestion, thank you.

Ian

Ian Dickinson                   Epimorphics Ltd, Bristol, UK
mailto:ian@epimorphics.com        http://www.epimorphics.com
cell: +44-7786-850536              landline: +44-1275-399069
Epimorphics Ltd.  is a limited company registered in England
(no. 7016688). Registered address: Court Lodge, 105 High St,
              Portishead, Bristol BS20 6PT, UK

Re: Jena test suite ; TestOntDocumentManager.testReadFailHandler1

Posted by Gavin Carothers <ga...@carothers.name>.
On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Ian Dickinson <ia...@epimorphics.com> wrote:
> On 08/03/11 20:04, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>>
>> Running the test suite, JUnit is in
>>
>> testReadFailHandler1
>> (com.hp.hpl.jena.ontology.impl.TestOntDocumentManager)
>>
>> for 60-120s then gives a test failure usually (I've seen it once give a
>> test success as well).
>>
>> What's happening?
>
> The test reads from <http://example.org/not/exist>, as an example of a URI
> that "obviously" doesn't resolve. Hence, a test of the read fail handler.
>
> Only, now, it does resolve. Specifically, it gets redirected to
> <http://www.iana.org/domains/example/>
>
> Rats.
>
> My inclination is to permanently disable the test, since (a) the read fail
> handler has been touched for ages and problably won't be, and (b) I'm not
> sure I can come up with a domain that "obviously" provokes the read failure.
> I don't think I can mock the behaviour since the read happens a long way off
> from the code that's being tested

Can also just be changed to use .invalid per
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2606#section-2

      ".invalid" is intended for use in online construction of domain
      names that are sure to be invalid and which it is obvious at a
      glance are invalid.

For example: <http://example.invalid/not/exist>

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: Jena test suite ; TestOntDocumentManager.testReadFailHandler1

Posted by Ian Dickinson <ia...@epimorphics.com>.
On 08/03/11 20:04, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> Running the test suite, JUnit is in
>
> testReadFailHandler1 (com.hp.hpl.jena.ontology.impl.TestOntDocumentManager)
>
> for 60-120s then gives a test failure usually (I've seen it once give a
> test success as well).
>
> What's happening?

The test reads from <http://example.org/not/exist>, as an example of a
URI that "obviously" doesn't resolve. Hence, a test of the read fail
handler.

Only, now, it does resolve. Specifically, it gets redirected to
<http://www.iana.org/domains/example/>

Rats.

My inclination is to permanently disable the test, since (a) the read
fail handler has been touched for ages and problably won't be, and (b)
I'm not sure I can come up with a domain that "obviously" provokes the
read failure. I don't think I can mock the behaviour since the read
happens a long way off from the code that's being tested.

For the interim, I'll disable the test. If anyone has any better
suggestions, I'm happy to hear them.