Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com> on 2020/06/19 21:11:07 UTC

Re: Strange crash-on-takeoff, Tomcat 7.0.104 (Trying again)

> My guess is that the system-property-setting part of catalina.sh (or
> some other script) is getting fouled-up. What script(s) are you
> running to start Tomcat?

Remember, we're talking about IBM Midrange systems, not *nix. So bash is
entirely unknown to the OS; instead, startup.sh calls catalina.sh, with
everything running under "QShell," a Linux-like front-end that was
provided with Java.

> If it's just catalina.sh, try running it like this:
>
> $ bash -x $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh
>
> This will echo every command run to the console before running it,
> including all expanded arguments and all that stuff. Most likely, the
> last command run will (a) be the one which is interesting and (b) will
> be clear from the command what went wrong.

Unfortunately, QShell doesn't appear to have anyplace to put "-x" as a
parameter.

But it does appear to support "set -x" at the QShell command line. If I
do that, then I get:
|    $
|  > set -x
|    +  set -x
|    $
|  > catalina.sh
|    +  catalina.sh
|    *-D
|    $

> PS You really are a magnet for weird problems with Tomcat, aren't you?

Well, it comes with the territory of running Tomcat on AS/400s, I
suppose. I'm thinking I should bring in the Java list over at
Midrange.com as well.

--
JHHL