Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Antonios Kouzoupis <ko...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/18 09:29:14 UTC

Hadoop RPC/IPC server SSL support

Hello,

I was looking into the security options for the RPC server
implementation (org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server). As far as I understood,
it supports SASL, either Kerberos authentication or no authentication
(simple) and three QoP options.

I'd be interested to have a secure communication channel using SSL
certificates instead of Kerberos. Do you know if there is any plan for
future support of SSL? Currently I'm doing a preliminary research and I
haven't really dig into SASL itself, but is it possible to use the
current implementation of the server with SASL, but instead of Kerberos
use SSL for authentication and channel encryption? Also, there seems to
be the TOKEN - Digest-MD5 authentication method but according to the
documentation this is not an option.

Thank you for your time,
--
Αντώνης Κουζούπης