Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2003/02/09 05:29:42 UTC

Re: [DRAFT1] Jakarta Newsletter - January 2003

In message <86...@blueyonder.co.uk>, robert burr
ell donkin writes:
>(here's some bits and pieces from the commons.)
>
>Jakarta Commons
>===============

Although the newsletter is for January, here's another item for
Jakarta Commons from February (Commons committers feel free to
ammend this entry):

Near the end of January, Robert Donkin jumpstarted Commons Net
project by calling for a vote to promote it from the Commons Sandbox
after a flurry of recent interest in releasing the current stable
code base.

The vote concluded in February, with the minimum number of +1's,
an equal number of +0', and no -0's or -1's.

The Jakarta Commons Team is pleased to announce that Commons Net
(formerly NetComponents) has been promoted out of the sandbox into
the Commons proper.  Commons Net is best known for its FTP package,
but it also implements a number of other Internet client protocols
such as Finger, Whois, TFTP, Telnet, POP3, NNTP, SMTP, and some
miscellaneous protocols like Time and Echo as well as BSD R command
support.

The first order of business for this Commons Net is to freeze
the code and make a formal release that projects using earlier
incarnations of the code, such as Ant, can migrate to.  After
this first release, further development will continue, adding
new features, performance improvements, a test harness, and a
programming guide to supplement the API documentation.  Anyone
interested in helping out is encouraged to contribute.

Re: [DRAFT1] Jakarta Newsletter - January 2003

Posted by Robert Oxspring <ro...@apache.org>.
This does look to be a february item... I'm inclined to hang onto it for
next time but if people disagree then we can whack it in.

Thanks,

Rob