Posted to announce@apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2010/07/14 14:57:50 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 has been released

Hello,

Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 has been released and is available for download:

	http://couchdb.apache.org/downloads.html

This is a huge milestone for the CouchDB community, and we'd like to thank every single person who's helped us get this far. This project would be nothing without its community, and we are fortunate enough to be blessed with a very healthy one.

Changes in this release:

 * More efficient header commits.
 * Use O_APPEND to save lseeks.
 * Faster implementation of pread_iolist(). Further improves performance on
   concurrent reads.
 * Added authentication caching
 * Faster default view collation.
 * Added option to include update_seq in view responses.

This builds on the changes made in 0.11.1, also released today.

Apache CouchDB is a document-oriented database that can be queried and indexed in a MapReduce fashion using JavaScript. CouchDB also offers incremental replication with bi-directional conflict detection and resolution.

CouchDB provides a RESTful JSON API than can be accessed from any environment that allows HTTP requests. There are myriad third-party client libraries that make this even easier from your programming language of choice. CouchDB’s built in Web administration console speaks directly to the database using HTTP requests issued from your browser.

CouchDB is written in Erlang, a robust functional programming language ideal for building concurrent distributed systems. Erlang allows for a flexible design that is easily scalable and readily extensible.

Relax and prosper,

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 has been released

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 14, 2010, at 8:54 AM, Jyoti Venkatesh wrote:

> Does this link include installers for windows as well?

the source package has build and install instructions for windows

(I hope) we are working on a binary installer it should be ready sometime today.

Posted by Dennis Geurts <de...@luminis.eu>.
curl http://localhost:5984 -> {"couchdb":"Welcome","version":"1.0.0"}
wow,

Congratulations to all !!

Cheers,

Dennis

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Dennis Geurts
luminis
Software Development B.V.
K.v.k Centraal Gelderland: 09 16 28 87
+31 6 12078236
dennis.geurts@luminis.eu
www.luminis.eu

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jyoti Venkatesh <Jy...@NIIT-Tech.com>.

Posted by Damien Katz <da...@apache.org>.
Awesome guys! I'm on vacation right now, but I just wanted to drop a note and say how thrilled I am by this.

Thanks everyone for all the hard work, I'm incredibly proud of this community and all we've accomplished!

-Damien

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 15, 2010, at 10:32 AM, Jarrod Roberson wrote:

> Did this issue ( https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-749 ) get
> resolved in 1.0?
> Personally it is a real show stopper, there is a work around ( store all
> largish numbers as strings ), but it is serious.

This is fixed in trunk.

If you touch JavaScript at all (browser, view engine, etc) it will round your numbers.

I you don't touch JavaScript, it is solid.

On 1.0:

$ curl -X PUT http://localhost:5984/a/longerTest -d '{"value":9223372036854775807922337203685477580792233720368547758079223372036854775807}'
{"ok":true,"id":"longerTest","rev":"1-28f8c7811de99149fcb49912a391ab13"}
animal 10:42:29 ~/code/couchdb(trunk) jchris
$ curl http://localhost:5984/a/longerTest
{"_id":"longerTest","_rev":"1-28f8c7811de99149fcb49912a391ab13","value":9223372036854775807922337203685477580792233720368547758079223372036854775807}

I've also pushed the fix upstream to mochiweb, so that we don't have this regression again.

Chris

Number representation (was: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 has been released)

Posted by Florian Weimer <fw...@deneb.enyo.de>.
* Jarrod Roberson:

> trying to persist System.currentTimeMilliseconds() from java causes the same
> thing to happen occasionally.

Really?  Those numbers are below 41 bits, so they should be
representable as doubles.  (Javascript and thus JSON treat all numbers
as doubles.)

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 has been released

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On 14 Jul 2010, at 15:27, Nils Breunese wrote:

> Cory Zue wrote:
>
>> Does this mean we can expect an Ubuntu package distro sometime in the
>> near future? :)
>
> AFAIK Linux distribtions like Ubuntu don't tend to update package versions during a release, unless backporting fixes is really not a viable option. I guess you'll need to wait for a future Ubuntu release or maybe a third-party package.

Ubuntu usually pulls from Debian, and I'm not sure about how active the CouchDB package maintainers are. You should feel free to email them, grabbing the contact details from the Debian homepage for the package. In this case, Ubuntu might beat Debian to it, because CouchDB is quite important to them. I'm sure it won't be long, either way - before you see the 1.0 release done.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 has been released

Posted by Nils Breunese <N....@vpro.nl>.
Cory Zue wrote:

> Does this mean we can expect an Ubuntu package distro sometime in the
> near future? :)

AFAIK Linux distribtions like Ubuntu don't tend to update package versions during a release, unless backporting fixes is really not a viable option. I guess you'll need to wait for a future Ubuntu release or maybe a third-party package.

Nils.

De informatie vervat in deze  e-mail en meegezonden bijlagen is uitsluitend bedoeld voor gebruik door de geadresseerde en kan vertrouwelijke informatie bevatten. Openbaarmaking, vermenigvuldiging, verspreiding en/of verstrekking van deze informatie aan derden is voorbehouden aan geadresseerde. De VPRO staat niet in voor de juiste en volledige overbrenging van de inhoud van een verzonden e-mail, noch voor tijdige ontvangst daarvan.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 has been released

Posted by Cory Zue <cz...@dimagi.com>.
Congrats everyone!

Does this mean we can expect an Ubuntu package distro sometime in the
near future? :)

Cory

Posted by Simon Metson <si...@googlemail.com>.
+1 - w00t!

Posted by Simon Metson <si...@googlemail.com>.
+1 - w00t!

Posted by Niket Patel <ne...@me.com>.

Posted by Niket Patel <ne...@me.com>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
OMG PARTY!

Posted by km <sr...@gmail.com>.
kudos!
KM

Posted by David Nolen <dn...@gmail.com>.
Congrats!

Posted by Sebastian Cohnen <se...@googlemail.com>.
Congratulations to all devs and to the supporting community!

Good job!

best

Sebastian

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
OMG PARTY!

Posted by David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com>.
Congratulations!!!

--
David W. Van Couvering

http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidvc
http://davidvancouvering.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/dcouvering

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 has been released

Posted by David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com>.
Congratulations!!!

Posted by James Marca <jm...@translab.its.uci.edu>.
Congratulations and thanks to all the developers for all the hard work
putting together this excellent tool.

James Marca

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 01:57:50PM +0100, Noah Slater wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 has been released and is available for download:
>
> 	http://couchdb.apache.org/downloads.html
>
> This is a huge milestone for the CouchDB community, and we'd like to thank every single person who's helped us get this far. This project would be nothing without its community, and we are fortunate enough to be blessed with a very healthy one.
>
> Changes in this release:
>
>  * More efficient header commits.
>  * Use O_APPEND to save lseeks.
>  * Faster implementation of pread_iolist(). Further improves performance on
>    concurrent reads.
>  * Added authentication caching
>  * Faster default view collation.
>  * Added option to include update_seq in view responses.
>
> This builds on the changes made in 0.11.1, also released today.
>
> Apache CouchDB is a document-oriented database that can be queried and indexed in a MapReduce fashion using JavaScript. CouchDB also offers incremental replication with bi-directional conflict detection and resolution.
>
> CouchDB provides a RESTful JSON API than can be accessed from any environment that allows HTTP requests. There are myriad third-party client libraries that make this even easier from your programming language of choice. CouchDB’s built in Web administration console speaks directly to the database using HTTP requests issued from your browser.
>
> CouchDB is written in Erlang, a robust functional programming language ideal for building concurrent distributed systems. Erlang allows for a flexible design that is easily scalable and readily extensible.
>
> Relax and prosper,

believed to be clean.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 has been released

Posted by James Marca <jm...@translab.its.uci.edu>.
Congratulations and thanks to all the developers for all the hard work
putting together this excellent tool.

James Marca

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 01:57:50PM +0100, Noah Slater wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 has been released and is available for download:
>
> 	http://couchdb.apache.org/downloads.html
>
> This is a huge milestone for the CouchDB community, and we'd like to thank every single person who's helped us get this far. This project would be nothing without its community, and we are fortunate enough to be blessed with a very healthy one.
>
> Changes in this release:
>
>  * More efficient header commits.
>  * Use O_APPEND to save lseeks.
>  * Faster implementation of pread_iolist(). Further improves performance on
>    concurrent reads.
>  * Added authentication caching
>  * Faster default view collation.
>  * Added option to include update_seq in view responses.
>
> This builds on the changes made in 0.11.1, also released today.
>
> Apache CouchDB is a document-oriented database that can be queried and indexed in a MapReduce fashion using JavaScript. CouchDB also offers incremental replication with bi-directional conflict detection and resolution.
>
> CouchDB provides a RESTful JSON API than can be accessed from any environment that allows HTTP requests. There are myriad third-party client libraries that make this even easier from your programming language of choice. CouchDB’s built in Web administration console speaks directly to the database using HTTP requests issued from your browser.
>
> CouchDB is written in Erlang, a robust functional programming language ideal for building concurrent distributed systems. Erlang allows for a flexible design that is easily scalable and readily extensible.
>
> Relax and prosper,

believed to be clean.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 has been released

Posted by Damien Katz <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Doherty <ju...@gmail.com>.
Nice work guys.

Looking forward to giving it a spin. Haven't had a chance to have much of a
look at it yet.

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.
This is a call for beer! :)

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.
This is a call for beer! :)

Posted by Avi Flax <av...@arc90.com>.

Posted by David Nolen <dn...@gmail.com>.
Congrats!

Posted by Avi Flax <av...@arc90.com>.
Fantastic news! Congrats and thank you to everyone!