Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by kf...@collab.net on 2004/01/15 23:45:59 UTC

remember to delete subversion/libsvn_subr/getdate.c

If you're building from a working copy of the 1.0-stabilization branch
or trunk, you might need to do

   C:> del subversion\libsvn_subr\getdate.c

or

   $ rm subversion/libsvn_subr/getdate.c

after your next update.  Although getdate.c is not versioned, the
build system will still see it, say "Aha, it's a C file", and include
it in the build.  But you don't want to compile it anymore, because
the date parser has been rewritten, and getdate.c is no longer used.

-Karl

Re: svnserve hang

Posted by Pete Gonzalez <pg...@bluel.com>.
At 10:29 PM 1/15/2004, you wrote:
>to figure out why it hangs.  Unfortunately, I did not
>compile this version with --enable-maintainer-mode.  I
>intend to rebuild the server soon with this option.
>I am wondering if there is anywhere else I can look to
>try to figure out why this occurs?

Try the "strace" tool, which logs all the system calls
by a process.  It will tell you at least which C library
function is stalling.  It's not perfect, but sometimes it
can be just the battle axe you need.

Cheers,
-Pete

Re: svnserve hang - SMP questions

Posted by Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
root wrote:
> --- root <eb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>--- Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>
>>wrote:
>
> Tobias -- I just wanted to follow up with my issue.  I
> upgraded to 0.36 and the problem appears to have gone
> away.  Now, svn+ssh does not hang in the middle of a
> lengthy checkout.

OK, great!

> I also compiled with --enable-maintaner-mode.  I am
> curious what debugging ability this adds?  Does it
> simply compile with -g, or will it generate debug
> messages to stdout or some logfile somewhere?

It's compiled with -g and the error messages are more verbose (showing
the filename and line numbers where the errors occurred). I don't know
if it does more than that, but I'm pretty sure that it does not put log
files anywhere.

/Tobias

Re: svnserve hang - SMP questions

Posted by root <eb...@yahoo.com>.
--- root <eb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>
> wrote:

Tobias -- I just wanted to follow up with my issue.  I
upgraded to 0.36 and the problem appears to have gone
away.  Now, svn+ssh does not hang in the middle of a
lengthy checkout.

I also compiled with --enable-maintaner-mode.  I am
curious what debugging ability this adds?  Does it
simply compile with -g, or will it generate debug
messages to stdout or some logfile somewhere?

Regards,
Davis

Re: svnserve hang - SMP questions

Posted by root <eb...@yahoo.com>.
--- Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu> wrote:
> root wrote:
> > Hi Tobias,
> >
> > Thanks for the response.  I realize that what you
> > indicate below is covered in the FAQ.  However, I
> do
> > not believe this to be the case.  I am the lone
> > administrator of this box and this repository.  I
> can
> > set up a brand new clean repository, and then from
> the
> > client, do a checkout and the same thing occurs --
> it
> > hangs.  I can guarantee that there are no other
> > clients hitting the repository or local svn*
> processes
> > hitting the repository at the same time the
> checkout
>
> It's completely OK to have several clients accessing
> the repository at
> the same time of course.

Right - I would think this to be the case..I was
simply trying to rule out the scenario where others'
local/remote accesses were leaving unfinished
transactions.

> > is underway.  Doing svnadmin recover does not seem
> > fix this problem.
>
> I assume that you killed all svnserve:s, ran
> svnadmin recover, and that
> it completed without error. We need to narrow this
> down a bit further.
> Make sure that your repos is not a network drive,
> and that you do not
> have a permission/umask problem.

Yes, to your question on running svnadmin recover.
This is definitely *not* a network drive.
Permission/umask problem - I've been trying
dilligently to avoid these issues.  I have a wrapper
script for svnserve that sets the umask to 0007.  The
permissions on the repository are as follows with all
users being members of svn group:

drwsrws---    2 svn      svn          4096 Jan 12
20:46 conf
drwsrws---    2 svn      svn          4096 Jan 12
20:46 dav
drwsrws---    2 svn      svn        118784 Jan 20
09:39 db
-rwsrws---    1 svn      svn             2 Jan 12
20:46 format
drwsrws---    2 svn      svn          4096 Jan 12
20:46 hooks
drwsrws---    2 svn      svn          4096 Jan 12
20:46 locks
-rwsrws---    1 svn      svn           376 Jan 12
20:46 README.txt

> Can you checkout using file://? If that works, can
> you run "svnserve -d"
> on the server and access it via svn://?

I can successfully do a file:/// checkout of the
repository - this problem only seems to happen over
the network.

I'll try to manually run svnserve -d tonight and see
if I can checkout successfully via that method.

> You should also upgrade to the latest release (0.36)
> of course.

I plan to do this tonight with
--enable-maintainer-mode

> > What I am curious about -- is if it is possibly an
> SMP
> > issue.  Has anyone run svnserve on SMP boxes
> before?
>
> I doubt that this is an SMP problem, but who can
> know for sure?
>
> > What I see is that a single client doing a
> checkout
> > connects via SSH one time and starts the svnserve
> > process, then a second or so later connects via
> SSH
> > again, and launches *another* svnserve process.
> Is
> > this by design -- such that a single checkout
> requires
> > 2 svnserve processes to be running?  If so, is it
> at
>
> Yes.

Just out of curiosity - why does it launch two
svnserve processes, and is this true for all
repository accesses (i.e. local/file:///, SSH, Apache,
etc.)..?

I will rebuild the server tonight 0.36 and the repos
and try some more tests.  Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,
Davis

Re: svnserve hang - SMP questions

Posted by Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
root wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> Thanks for the response.  I realize that what you
> indicate below is covered in the FAQ.  However, I do
> not believe this to be the case.  I am the lone
> administrator of this box and this repository.  I can
> set up a brand new clean repository, and then from the
> client, do a checkout and the same thing occurs -- it
> hangs.  I can guarantee that there are no other
> clients hitting the repository or local svn* processes
> hitting the repository at the same time the checkout

It's completely OK to have several clients accessing the repository at
the same time of course.

> is underway.  Doing svnadmin recover does not seem to
> fix this problem.

I assume that you killed all svnserve:s, ran svnadmin recover, and that
it completed without error. We need to narrow this down a bit further.
Make sure that your repos is not a network drive, and that you do not
have a permission/umask problem.

Can you checkout using file://? If that works, can you run "svnserve -d"
on the server and access it via svn://?

You should also upgrade to the latest release (0.36) of course.

> What I am curious about -- is if it is possibly an SMP
> issue.  Has anyone run svnserve on SMP boxes before?

I doubt that this is an SMP problem, but who can know for sure?

> What I see is that a single client doing a checkout
> connects via SSH one time and starts the svnserve
> process, then a second or so later connects via SSH
> again, and launches *another* svnserve process.  Is
> this by design -- such that a single checkout requires
> 2 svnserve processes to be running?  If so, is it at

Yes.

> all possible that there is deadlock between the two
> processes somewhere along the line that causes this
> hang?

Not likely.

/Tobias

Re: svnserve hang - SMP questions

Posted by root <eb...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Tobias,

Re: svnserve hang

Posted by Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.

svnserve hang

Posted by root <eb...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

I have an issue where a checkout of a repos simply
hangs.

I am using the following:

TortoiseSVN 0.24.0, Build 554, UNICODE
Subversion 0.35.1, dev build
apr 0.9.5
apr-iconv 0.9.5
apr-utils 0.9.5
berkeley db 4.2.52
neon 0.24
OpenSSL 0.9.7c 30 Sep 2003
zlib 1.2.1

Access is via svn+ssh. Server is Linux
kafka.localdomain 2.4.20-27.9smp #1 SMP

When I do a checkout, things start working fine and
files are copied (these are PDF files).  However, at
some point, the network traffic halts, and no further
progress is made.  On the server, the svnserve process
is still ready, but not using any CPU.  -->

# ps aux | grep svnserve
dford    13534  0.0  0.0  5140 1988 ?        S
22:06   0:00 /usr/local/bin/svnserve.bin -t -t
dford    13544  7.8  0.2  7768 4660 ?        S
22:06   0:08 /usr/local/bin/svnserve.bin -t -t

# top -d1 -p 13534
  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM
  TIME CPU COMMAND
13534 dford     24   0  1988 1988  1708 S     0.0  0.0
  0:00   1 svnserve.bin

Same is true for pid 13544 ..both of them seem to be
waiting....forever, for something.

The last two entries in /var/log/messages show:
Jan 15 22:06:24 kafka sshd(pam_unix)[13533]: session
opened for user dford by (uid=500)
Jan 15 22:06:25 kafka sshd(pam_unix)[13543]: session
opened for user dford by (uid=500)

So, I am still logged in and ssh tunnel is still
active.  For some reason, tho, the svnserve process
and the client (same for svn cmd line or tortoise) are
not doing anything.

When I kill the client, I can see that I have a zombie
transaction lying around via svnadmin lstxns.  I can
clean up all txns using svnadmin rmtxns, but this does
not fix the problem.

On the client side, after killing the checkout, if I
do an update, I will typically make it a bit farther,
and it hangs again.  Then I can kill it and do update
again, and it will get a little farther.  Eventually,
it will checkout the whole repository, but I am trying
to figure out why it hangs.  Unfortunately, I did not
compile this version with --enable-maintainer-mode.  I
intend to rebuild the server soon with this option.

I am wondering if there is anywhere else I can look to
try to figure out why this occurs?

Note that I am the only one currently checking in/out
of this repose.

Lastly, I am curious why 2 svnserve processes are
launched when I do a single client checkout? <as
indicated above>

Thank you in advance,
Davis