Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Mark Wallendjack <wa...@hotmail.com> on 2016/07/11 20:08:44 UTC

Downloading EXCEL files into Open Office

When download EXCEL files, they don't recognize my Open Office spreadsheet program.  Is there a way to do that?  I certainly don't want to buy Microsoft Office for the privilege!

Thanks - a new Open office user.

Mark

Re: Downloading EXCEL files into Open Office

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 20:08:44 +0000
Mark Wallendjack <wa...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> When download EXCEL files, they don't recognize my Open Office spreadsheet program.  Is there a way to do that?  I certainly don't want to buy Microsoft Office for the privilege!
>

> Thanks - a new Open office user.
>

> Mark

Set a File Association for .xls files to open using OpenOffice.  How to do this depends on your Operating System, whose instructions you should check.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Downloading EXCEL files into Open Office

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

> When download EXCEL files, they don't recognize my Open Office spreadsheet
> program.

Spreadsheet files don't recognise anything, they are just files. Apache
OpenOffice however, recognise certain file types, Excel files are among
those. Also your operating system recognise them, if you set it up
properly. I don't know how to do that in your operating system since I
don't know which one you have, but I'm sure it's very easy.