Posted to general@velocity.apache.org by Shruti Kulkarni <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2007/06/26 13:05:21 UTC

problem with velocity templates

Hello,

I'm using velocity templates (.vm) files. It is being used across many languages and has been localised. Contents of these .vm files contain utf-8 charactes (like accented french chars etc)... Do we need to save this file as it is or in native2ascii format ?

If this file is saved in native2ascii format the data is not be displayed as utf-8 chars... I tried setting the velocity input and output encoding as utf-8 and tried retrieving the template with UTF-8 encoding, but it doesnt display the chars properly.

However, if I save the .vm file normally (NOT native2ascii format), it works fine. Whats the correct way of saving .vm files?

Regards,
Shruti

Re: problem with velocity templates

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 6/26/07, Shruti Kulkarni <sh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using velocity templates (.vm) files. It is being used across many languages and has been localised. Contents of these .vm files contain utf-8 charactes (like accented french chars etc)... Do we need to save this file as it is or in native2ascii format ?
>
> If this file is saved in native2ascii format the data is not be displayed as utf-8 chars... I tried setting the velocity input and output encoding as utf-8 and tried retrieving the template with UTF-8 encoding, but it doesnt display the chars properly.
>
> However, if I save the .vm file normally (NOT native2ascii format), it works fine. Whats the correct way of saving .vm files?

is there some reason you want things to be saved in native2ascii?  if
it works fine when you don't do that, then i'd recommend you not do
that.  :)