Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2009/12/02 18:38:13 UTC

Upload Apache Pivot artifacts to central repository

Hi all,

Apache Pivot is preparing for graduation, and we would like to upload our next set of release artifacts to the central Maven repository. We don't currently use Maven as a build tool, so I have been trying to follow the manual upload instructions listed here:

http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#maven-repo

There is a section at the bottom that is meant to explain how to create an appropriate POM file, but it does not appear to be complete:

http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#repository-descriptor

I have created some POMs that I think should work, but it would be very helpful if someone with a knowledgeable eye could take a quick look to make sure that they contain the correct information, are structured properly, etc. There is a root POM in the trunk, and a POM in each project-specific subdirectory that we plan to publish to the repository (note that these files refer to the anticipated future name and location of the project, as opposed to its current Incubator name and location):

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/pivot/trunk/

Based on the documentation I have read thus far, I assume that we'll want to place our compiled JARs in a pivot/jars directory, and structure our POMs as follows:

pivot/poms
    pom.xml
    /core/pom.xml
    /web/pom.xml
    /wtk/pom.xml
    /wtk-terra/pom.xml

I don't think we'll need to use the distributions directory, and I assume that the licenses directory should simply contain a copy of our main LICENSE file. Is this all correct?

Also, one of our mentors, Martijn Dashorst, suggested that there might be a top-level ASF POM that the root Pivot POM could extend (rather than duplicating the ASF info). If so, could you point us to it?

Thanks - your assistance is very much appreciated!

Greg Brown
Apache Pivot

Fwd: Upload Apache Pivot artifacts to central repository?

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
FYI

Begin forwarded message:

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Hi Brian,

Any update on this?

Greg

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Hi Brian,

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Hi Brian,

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Hi Brian,

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Great, thanks!

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Thanks again for the suggestion, Niclas. Using this technique, I was able to deploy the various Pivot JARs to my local repository and successfully build a test project that depends on them.

Now we just need to find out what the recommended practice for deploying to the central repository is...

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Niclas,

> Maven also has support for "converting" existing jars into
> installed/deployed artifacts.
yes, and my sample was a simple test application using (or better,
consuming) Pivot jars from a local maven repository (installed by hand
as you suggested).

So we could have a simple app like this (but simplified and adapted
for Pivot 1.4) to ensure that all works good with jars deployed in the
main repository ... maybe for the next release ... if someone is
interested tell me.

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Upload Apache Pivot artifacts to central repository

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
> I don't understand what you write about LICENSE, can you clarify (our
> 1.4 jars already have the required license, readme, etc files inside
> meta-inf, as set in ant build file) ? Thanks.

See the document I mentioned in the original email:

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg,

> I have created some POMs that I think should work, but it would be very helpful if someone with a knowledgeable eye could take a quick look to make sure that they contain the correct information, are structured properly, etc.
I've tried to open them, but for example inside eclipse + m2eclipse,
opening some tab on subproject poms gives me errors, probably some
info is expected but not found, I have to look it better, but probably
this is not a problem for our usage.

> I don't think we'll need to use the distributions directory, and I assume that the licenses directory should simply contain a copy of our main LICENSE file. Is this all correct?
Maven by default has a target folder for any generated artifact, but I
don't know only for publishing artifacts if it uses already generated
items or not ...
I don't understand what you write about LICENSE, can you clarify (our
1.4 jars already have the required license, readme, etc files inside
meta-inf, as set in ant build file) ? Thanks.

Last year I have done some tests inside a fully-mavenized project, to
consume Pivot jars (manually deployed in my local repository), and
create a simple Pivot App, and all has worked. I have to find it in my
disks (maybe I have already sent to you, I don't remember) and
adapt/simplify it for Pivot 1.4 .
This could be a simple test to ensure that all works good, but we have
to see if could be interesting to include as a new subproject (without
any dependency to others), in trunk.
Tell me if this is wanted.

Bye,
Sandro