Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by ahammad <ah...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/11 18:21:24 UTC

Upgrading from 1.4 to the latest version

I was doing some reading on the new features and whatnot, and I am interested
in upgrading. I have a few questions though:

1) The index seemed to have changed, can I reuse the current index or should
I reindex the data? I read some things about optimizing the index and
whatnot, but I am not clear on that.
2) Will SolrJ still work?
3) Has there been any changes in the config files or the schema files such
that my existing files won't work, or can I simply reuse them?

Thank you.

Re: Upgrading from 1.4 to the latest version

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Short form: It's always best to re-index if possible.
1> Should work, indexes are supposed to be backwards-compatible
     across one release. But I'd still re-index if possible. WARNING:
     as you add documents etc. when, say, a merge happens, the
     newly merged segments will NOT be readable by a 1.4.1 Solr.
2> SolrJ still works. You should, of course, recompile your program
     against the new libraries
3> I'd be cautious about this. Look at the CHANGES.txt files, there's
     usually a a set of upgrade notes for each release. Look particularly
     in solr/README.txt and lucene/README.txt

Best
Erick