Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by pe...@ec4b.com on 2007/04/16 18:56:47 UTC

The Return of...Inaccurate Calculation of Order

Hi,

Sure hope you can help with this, I have been going around in circles.

I am having a problem with the way that Ofbiz calculates tax and order
totals.

>From what I can gather, the file
‘…/applications/accounting/config/arithmetic.properties’ controls the
rounding and digit length for the calculation of taxes & order totals.

I am starting to think the changes I make to the file are not being applied,
I say this because when I look at the ‘Unit Price’ in an order it shows
35.742, rather than 35.74. Which would tend to indicate that settings are
not being used because the number of decimal points in each of the settings
in ‘arithmetic.properties‘ are set to 2 digits. I have pasted in the
contents of the ‘arithmetic.properties‘ file below so you can have a look. I
have changed the ‘rounding’ to a different method to try to achieve the
correct figures.

There is only a disparity of +0.1 but, technically it is wrong. Ofbiz keeps
giving me a total of 91.05, but it should be 91.04. I am been given a hard
time about it...

Essentially;

Using Excel;
            US$	  tax	     p+tax
Product1	35.74	  6.2545   41.995
Product2	35.74	  6.2545   41.995
Shipping	6.00	  1.050    7.050
Total	      77.48	  (3 digit)
Tax	      13.56	  13.559
------------------------
Grand Total	91.04	  91.039

Simply put, I think that the problem is a combination of two issues;
(i). Ofbiz uses 3 digits, not 2 digits (I would like to use 2 digits).
and
(ii). Uses rounding ‘ROUND_HALF_UP’, I would tend to use ‘ROUND_HALF_DOWN’.
I think the ‘arithmetic.properties‘ file below, should do the trick. But it
doesn’t seem to being ‘applied’ to the calculation.

So I have two Questions;

1). (BIGGEST ISSUE) Do I have to ‘activate’ the ‘arithmetic.properties‘
file, and if so how do I do that? (All I have been doing is clearing the
cache and logging out then logging in again, as I had been told this is the
way to do it).
2). Do you see my point about 94.05 and 94.04, and the best way to make this
calculation?

---CONTENTS OF---

.../Ofbiz/trunk/applications/accounting/config/arithmetic.properties

#
# Arithmetic properties for configuring BigDecimal calculations
#

# For setting decimal precision and rounding method of operations related to
invoices
invoice.decimals = 2
invoice.rounding = ROUND_HALF_DOWN

# For setting decimal precision and rounding method of operations related to
orders,
# such as shopping cart amounts and order amounts
order.decimals = 2
order.rounding = ROUND_HALF_DOWN

# For setting decimal precision and rounding method of operations related to
customer accounts
# such as Financial Accounts
finaccount.decimals = 2
finaccount.rounding = ROUND_HALF_DOWN

# Most companies would want their sales tax calculations ALWAYS to round up
(ie, 100.081 becomes 100.09)
# This could be ROUND_CEILING or ROUND_UP.  (The difference is that
ROUND_CEILING rounds towards positive infinity,
# ROUND_UP away from zero.  So, for 1.13, both ROUND_UP and ROUND_CEILING
will round to 1.2, but for -1.13,
# ROUND_UP gives you -1.2 and ROUND_CEILING -1.1.)
salestax.calc.decimals = 2
salestax.final.decimals = 2
salestax.rounding = ROUND_HALF_DOWN

Thanks & Regards,

Peter

On 05/04/07, peter@ec4b.com < peter@ec4b.com> wrote:
Hi Scott,

Just strikes me that the file should be 'correct' for everyone. What would
be your guidance as to what the file should be?

Appreciate your fast responses this evening. It is 1:15am here in the UK
just can't stay awake any more.

Thanks & Regards,

Peter

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Mathius,

>   2. We need to provide an access right control in which some screen
may not available for some users. In my previous j2ee web application
(modified version struts framework) we implemented this functionality by
storing the access right (read, read/write, no access) to modules and/or
functions in a database table and provided a custom tag with user and
module/function IDs as parameters. The decision to show/hide a
particular module will be checked in either JSP/Command class. Is there
any existing functionality for such access control in OfBiz? Any other
recommended way of achieving this requirement?

In OFBiz this is achieved thru roles and permissions wich are related to
parties.

>   3. Looks like our sponsor have look at the SugarCRM module builder
and likes the module builder provided by SugarCRM. Is there any similar
functionality on OfBiz? may be not exactly the same but may be closer in
terms of functionality.

I don't know what module builder is in SugarCRM. But if you are looking
for similar functionnalities than in SugarCRM you should look at
Opentaps : http://www.opentaps.org/

Jacques

OfBiz newbie - prototyping in OfBiz

Posted by Mathius Allo <mg...@yahoo.com>.
Hi OfBiz Expert,

  We are currently doing our final year project and we decided to use OfBiz as it is part of ASF and it seems to fit to our project. We did quite extensive research on OfBiz and we knew that there will be a very high learning curve. I think we are progressing (but quite slow) by making use of the freely available OfBiz documentations. Our sponsor decided to purchase the Advanced Training material from Undersun but it seems that Undersun may be running out of stock on the DVD training (don't know exactly). Ok. that's enough for overview...

  My questions are:
  1. One of the best practice in OfBiz is to prototype using BeanShell. I have been searching for documentation how to do this prototyping using OfBiz. We have existing prototyping using PHP but we really want to use OfBiz as we'll be learning the framework at the same time. Any sample documentation on this? Any pointer on how to do it is really appreciated.

  2. We need to provide an access right control in which some screen may not available for some users. In my previous j2ee web application (modified version struts framework) we implemented this functionality by storing the access right (read, read/write, no access) to modules and/or functions in a database table and provided a custom tag with user and module/function IDs as parameters. The decision to show/hide a particular module will be checked in either JSP/Command class. Is there any existing functionality for such access control in OfBiz? Any other recommended way of achieving this requirement?

  3. Looks like our sponsor have look at the SugarCRM module builder and likes the module builder provided by SugarCRM. Is there any similar functionality on OfBiz? may be not exactly the same but may be closer in terms of functionality.

  Please let me know if I should ask question 2 & 3 in a separate email for easier tracking/searching.

  Thanks in advance.
  Mathius

---------------------------------
 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Re: The Return of...Inaccurate Calculation of Order

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
It's been an hour and a half since you sent that message... It is
very rare that questions are answered that quickly.

I'd also recommend being WAY WAY WAY more specific. I can't emphasize
that enough.

Saying that the problem is with tax calculation was helpful, and may
be the key to your question (ie most of the other stuff you said was
totally misleading if that really is the problem).

Hopefully I or someone can answer your most recent question soon.

I would still recommend, as I did in my email below, that you list
steps to reproduce for out of the box OFBiz with demo data, or use
demo.hotwaxmedia.com as I mentioned. That makes it WAY easier for
people to see exactly what you're talking about, with only a little
effort on your part.

Remember it's 100% about communication, and because OFBiz is such a
big system you need to be very specific.

-David

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Peter,

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
Peter

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
if I read this right
Grand Total     91.04   91.039
so if you round to two places on 91.039 you get 91.04
which means they equal.

peter@ec4b.com sent the following on 4/17/2007 4:00 PM:

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

--- peter@ec4b.com wrote:

> [...]
> round up
> (ie, 100.081 becomes 100.09)
> # This could be ROUND_CEILING or ROUND_UP.  (The difference is that
> ROUND_CEILING rounds towards positive infinity,
> # ROUND_UP away from zero.  So, for 1.13, both ROUND_UP and
> ROUND_CEILING
> will round to 1.2, but for -1.13,
> # ROUND_UP gives you -1.2 and ROUND_CEILING -1.1.)
> salestax.calc.decimals = 2
> salestax.final.decimals = 2
> salestax.rounding = ROUND_HALF_DOWN
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Peter

> On 05/04/07, peter@ec4b.com < peter@ec4b.com> wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>

> Just strikes me that the file should be 'correct' for everyone. What
> would
> be your guidance as to what the file should be?
>
> Appreciate your fast responses this evening. It is 1:15am here in the

=== message truncated ===

Re: The Return of...Inaccurate Calculation of Order

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Peter,

--- peter@ec4b.com wrote:

> [...]
> round up
> (ie, 100.081 becomes 100.09)
> # This could be ROUND_CEILING or ROUND_UP.  (The difference is that
> ROUND_CEILING rounds towards positive infinity,
> # ROUND_UP away from zero.  So, for 1.13, both ROUND_UP and
> ROUND_CEILING
> will round to 1.2, but for -1.13,
> # ROUND_UP gives you -1.2 and ROUND_CEILING -1.1.)
> salestax.calc.decimals = 2
> salestax.final.decimals = 2
> salestax.rounding = ROUND_HALF_DOWN
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Peter

> On 05/04/07, peter@ec4b.com < peter@ec4b.com> wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>

> Just strikes me that the file should be 'correct' for everyone. What
> would
> be your guidance as to what the file should be?
>
> Appreciate your fast responses this evening. It is 1:15am here in the

=== message truncated ===