Posted to dev@weex.apache.org by Tiago Alves <tr...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/14 13:40:26 UTC

Sorting out Weex APIs and tools

Hello all!

I am a newcomer that is still trying to wrap his head around the project.
And hey, maybe it's good thing to have an outsider's perspective!

After some days experimenting with Weex, the Hackernews project, weexpack
and weex-toolkit, I still have this question: How will people use Weex in
the future? The success of open source projects depends more on the
developer experience (that includes APIs, docs and tools) than the
technical quality of the solution.

So my question is: where are we heading? As far as I could learn from the
docs, the workflow would be:

1. Create the app:
> weexpack create my-project // weexpack
or
> weex create my-project // weex-toolkit
or
> vue init weex my-project // vue-cli
?

2. Configure native platforms in the config.xml

3. Add platforms
> weexpack platform add android/ios // weexpack
or
> weex platform add android/ios // weex-toolkit
?

4. Debug platforms using weex-toolkit:
> weex debug dist/index.weex.js

5. Run/deploy natively:
> weexpack platform run

I would like to see 3 things happening to this project:
1) A definition of the experience we want for the developer.
2) weexpack and weex-toolkit should have a clearer scope. Their docs should
have a distinction of what is deprecated, with special care for overlapping
features.
3) A "getting started" doc that guides the developer from 0 to having a
Vue2.0 Weex debuggable app.

Weex is under heavy development and I get that. The worrying part is that I
don't see where Weex's developer experience is heading to.

So, how will developers us weex in the future?

Thanks!
Tiago

Re: Sorting out Weex APIs and tools

Posted by Tiago Alves <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

Thank you very much!

Initially I dismissed weex-toolkit just because weexpack had more activity
on github :). Now that I took a closer look, I see that weex-toolkit
basically provides an aggregated API for different weex tools.

Cheers!
Tiago

Posted by Wenhong Wu <ww...@gmail.com>.
As a follow-up decision, "weex init" was used specifically to setup H5
project, it will build vue project by default, option "--type=we" will
create weex project.
“weex create" command was used to create a complete project with native
(android/iOS) platform files, app code canbe written by vue or .we, all
following commands like "weex platform add..." "weex plugin add..." "weex
run android/ios"... will detect the source file type (vue or weex)
automatically and run.

thanks

Posted by Wenhong Wu <ww...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your comments.

Posted by Tiago Alves <tr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the replies!

回复:Sorting out Weex APIs and tools

Posted by "蒲欢(拈笑)" <pu...@alibaba-inc.com>.
We have

------------------------------------------------------------------发件人:Wenhong Wu <ww...@gmail.com>发送时间:2017年3月15日(星期三) 11:40收件人:dev <de...@weex.incubator.apache.org>主 题:Re: Sorting out Weex APIs and tools

Posted by Wenhong Wu <ww...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Tiago,

Posted by sospartan <so...@apache.org>.